crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't find them metal detecting but found them on eBay. A detecting friend of mine has assigned me the task of finding the old roadside parks (before rest areas and interstates) He had a map showing the close locations but the 1955 map has all of the locations but the 1940 map did not ???. Roadside parks took of in the 1920's when the government realized that motorists had no place to sleep, eat Etc. It wasn't uncommon in those days for motorists to knock on doors of farmers and other people to ask for water, bathrooms, etc. So thus started the roadside parks.This is fun because it opens the opportunity of more places to hunt. I know where 2 are. One is still operational, although nobody ever uses them any more. I think it has a historic marker there, so my son tells me. The one near my house is now a farmers field. I'll be doing more detection work on these and update you on any progress. Once my camera battery is charged, I'll take some pics Thanks for reading, Ron

Pics added below. Hope you enjoy. Note the absence of the interstates. The cities in Ohio were much smaller than now. The map on the right is 1940. The one on the left is 1955.No by-passes, no road rage, no back-ups ::) Also, the poulation of Cleveland Ohio was 914,000. The official census estimate for 1954 for the state of Ohio 7.9 million people.2006 it was estimated to be 11.4 million ..................... I'm sorry. The one map is 1940, not 1930. I got it mixed up with something else.

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

011.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Found 1930 and 1955 Ohio maps with old roadside parks

just-geese said:
Great idea Ron, seems to me I remember a couple up US 23 that aren't there any more, Off to ebay maps section LOL
Don

Yes, there are several. One north of Marion and one near Carrey

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

just-geese said:
Was thinking north of Portsmouth, you got to remember I'm a southern Ohio boy LOL

Yep, there are 2 .Alma, ohio and up closer towards columbus

S

seger98

That' a great idea Ron. I'll have to do alittle research & see if there's any in Northern Wi.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

seger98 said:
That' a great idea Ron. I'll have to do alittle research & see if there's any in Northern Wi.

Go on ebay and type in maps or historic maps or vintage maps. I saw a lot of different states on there. Or from yahoo do a similar search

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

just-geese said:
Ron-In-Marysville said:
just-geese said:
Was thinking north of Portsmouth, you got to remember I'm a southern Ohio boy LOL

Yep, there are 2 .Alma, ohio and up closer towards columbus

Alma was the one I was trying to remember....see which of the maps show the one north of Waverly close to Massieville, it has a stone wall around it and has been there as long as I can remember

That's the one I was refering to. I also just saw one right there in waverly that I missed. The one near alma is half way between wavely and massieville

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

just-geese said:
I don't remember one being in Waverly...must have been gone for a while

Right off st. Route 220 and 23

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Allen. Glad to see you are back in the groove again, I hope :icon_sunny:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron there are many old camps on the Lincoln Highway or as it is now called Route 30, of course
the old route. Now it is a complete 4 lane highway, but there are many miles of the old Highway. I belong
to the Lincoln Highway Association. I have some old maps from the '20s and 30's also.

We are so lucky to live in the State of Ohio, so many places to hunt and for the most part, friendly people who will give you permission to hunt there properties.

Best of Luck, hope you find some really hot spots to hunt, if you do, let me know, I'm not that far from where you live. Being retired, I could be at your place in about 2 hours. Hopefully when it warms up and the ground is softer. LOL

HH,Ringfinder
Bluffton, Ohio

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

We will get together this year for sure. Just put in a reminder when the weather gets warm. I have a lot of leads and places we could hunt. Thanks for the information

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Ron, Hope everything is going better for you son and his family.

Ringfinder

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

ringfinder said:
Ron there are many old camps on the Lincoln Highway or as it is now called Route 30, of course
the old route. Now it is a complete 4 lane highway, but there are many miles of the old Highway. I belong
to the Lincoln Highway Association. I have some old maps from the '20s and 30's also.

We are so lucky to live in the State of Ohio, so many places to hunt and for the most part, friendly people who will give you permission to hunt there properties.

Best of Luck, hope you find some really hot spots to hunt, if you do, let me know, I'm not that far from where you live. Being retired, I could be at your place in about 2 hours. Hopefully when it warms up and the ground is softer. LOL

HH,Ringfinder
Bluffton, Ohio

"American Road"
July - Sept 1919
Excellent book. :wink:

all have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
ringfinder said:

HH,Ringfinder
Bluffton, Ohio

"American Road"
July - Sept 1919
Excellent book. :wink:

all have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

Thanks Shermanville

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ringfinder said:
Thanks Ron, Hope everything is going better for you son and his family.

Ringfinder

Yes, time will heal. I have received a few things from TNET members. The lady has had tons of clothing pour in, but my son hasn't had the best of luck, yet

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have been doing something similar for the Pine Bluff, Arkansas area. Those old maps can be a wealth of information. Good luck.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

capt1989 said:
I have been doing something similar for the Pine Bluff, Arkansas area. Those old maps can be a wealth of information. Good luck.

Thank you so much. Check out ebay. I found lots of old state maps

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Ron what a great idea ;D Ill have to check if there is any on there for western ma. I hope the ones you got lead you to some great finds ;D

G1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread