4th hunt of the year and kept the silver streak alive

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
... but just barely.

I've been researching a new location and recieved permission to hunt it last week. It was a ranch starting in 1875 with orchards and vineyards, and the property owners ran a summer resort for 15 years between 1875 and 1925, when the property changed ownership. It has been used as a campground ever since.

The bad news I got from the property owner was that several people have detected it over the past five to ten years that he knows of. But I figured given the size of the property, there is absolutely no way it is hunted out - in fact, it is so large a piece of land, with fields and wooded areas, that only a tiny fraction of the property could have been hunted.

So I made the 90 minute drive yesterday and spent 5 hours hunting around an area that had several ancient looking apple trees, and some nearby fields that are near to where a barn had once stood according to the property owner.

About half way into the hunt I finally saw what I knew had to be there somewhere - SILVER...

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Unfortunately it was only a 1953 Washington Quarter, but it held a little extra special meaning as I had listened to Obama's inauguration the entire drive out to my destination. I thought it fitting that I find a silver Washington!!!!!

However, my happiness was short-lived as my mind went back to thinking about kuger's post from Monday where he and his buddy found the three seated liberty half dollars and the $10 gold piece, and I went back to work trying to find my own seated coin.

Well, it was not meant to be this day. The silver washington is the only silver I found. At least it has kept my silver streak going - silver on each of my first four hunts of the new year.

I did find 5 wheat cents from the 40's. One of them is too corroded to read the date. I found a ton of junk at this site, but here is the more interesting stuff...

IMG_0174.jpg

10 clad quarters, 4 dimes, and a handful of memorial cents. Man I hate those memorial pennies. I'd rather dig an interesting piece of trash than another memorial cent.

Here is the quarter cleaned off...

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

I need to do some more research on this property before I head back there again. I think a creek runs through a section of the property and I bet when the original owners ran it as a summer resort for 15 years, the vacationers would have spent a bunch of time at the edge of the creek (and probably in the creek as well).

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt Jim. I'd take a silver coin anyday. I take it there are no mountain lions there ::) Be careful out Ron

S

seger98

I'd be happy with that quarter any day! You keep trying & some day that seated coin or gold coin will show up!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Oh, there's George!! ;D

Jim, it sounds like you've got a spot there that is worthy of many hunting hours. Too bad it's such a long drive. All those finds look interesting to me. Four for four on the silver? Nice. Very nice! :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Congrats on the great finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Neil

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey Jim, Congrats on your 4th "Silver" hunt so far this year!!

You've got some great spots to detect up there, and a lot of area to cover.

Good luck with the new Explorer settings. You'll probably hear more tones with the newer settings, but you won't be losing any depth or any coins next to iron.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great site to hunt and congrats on the silver! Bummer is it a 3 hour drive. HH, Mike

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice huntin' Jim. I'm glad you kept the streak alive buddy...and in a big way. A silver quarter is always nice. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions