Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2005
    E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
    39 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

4th hunt of the year and kept the silver streak alive

... but just barely.

I've been researching a new location and recieved permission to hunt it last week. It was a ranch starting in 1875 with orchards and vineyards, and the property owners ran a summer resort for 15 years between 1875 and 1925, when the property changed ownership. It has been used as a campground ever since.

The bad news I got from the property owner was that several people have detected it over the past five to ten years that he knows of. But I figured given the size of the property, there is absolutely no way it is hunted out - in fact, it is so large a piece of land, with fields and wooded areas, that only a tiny fraction of the property could have been hunted.

So I made the 90 minute drive yesterday and spent 5 hours hunting around an area that had several ancient looking apple trees, and some nearby fields that are near to where a barn had once stood according to the property owner.

About half way into the hunt I finally saw what I knew had to be there somewhere - SILVER...

Unfortunately it was only a 1953 Washington Quarter, but it held a little extra special meaning as I had listened to Obama's inauguration the entire drive out to my destination. I thought it fitting that I find a silver Washington!!!!!

However, my happiness was short-lived as my mind went back to thinking about kuger's post from Monday where he and his buddy found the three seated liberty half dollars and the $10 gold piece, and I went back to work trying to find my own seated coin.

Well, it was not meant to be this day. The silver washington is the only silver I found. At least it has kept my silver streak going - silver on each of my first four hunts of the new year.

I did find 5 wheat cents from the 40's. One of them is too corroded to read the date. I found a ton of junk at this site, but here is the more interesting stuff...

10 clad quarters, 4 dimes, and a handful of memorial cents. Man I hate those memorial pennies. I'd rather dig an interesting piece of trash than another memorial cent.

Here is the quarter cleaned off...

I need to do some more research on this property before I head back there again. I think a creek runs through a section of the property and I bet when the original owners ran it as a summer resort for 15 years, the vacationers would have spent a bunch of time at the edge of the creek (and probably in the creek as well).

Happy Hunting,

Jim

us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    31 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: 4th hunt of the year and kept the silver streak alive

Nice hunt Jim. I'd take a silver coin anyday. I take it there are no mountain lions there Be careful out Ron

Jun 2007
    whites mxt,Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT DAY. WTG

seger98

I'd be happy with that quarter any day! You keep trying & some day that seated coin or gold coin will show up!

Jan 2008
    Mexico,Missouri

When your HOT your HOT

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    170 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

that is a sweet silver quarter...
    ALLEN

us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    16 times

very nice job on the silver quarter!!!!
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

us
    Apr 2008
    Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
    E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
    22 times

Oh, there's George!!

Jim, it sounds like you've got a spot there that is worthy of many hunting hours. Too bad it's such a long drive. All those finds look interesting to me. Four for four on the silver? Nice. Very nice!

Congrats on the great finds!
    Neil

God bless our veterans! Thank you for your sacrifices!

Aug 2007
    So Illinois
    DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
    3 times

Congrats on the silver.
    JDD

au
    Mar 2007
    Queensland, Australia
    Jackeroo, BH Landstar
    12 times

Nice, gotta love the silver.

HH

On extended Holiday.

Dec 2008
    60 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Congrats. Keep the streak going.

us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    8 times

Hey Jim, Congrats on your 4th "Silver" hunt so far this year!!

You've got some great spots to detect up there, and a lot of area to cover.

Good luck with the new Explorer settings. You'll probably hear more tones with the newer settings, but you won't be losing any depth or any coins next to iron.

HH,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    145 times

Looks like a great site to hunt and congrats on the silver! Bummer is it a 3 hour drive. HH, Mike

Bryce-IL

Aug 2007
    Wherever Silver's Hidin'
    Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
    191 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Nice huntin' Jim. I'm glad you kept the streak alive buddy...and in a big way. A silver quarter is always nice.
    Here's the story of my BEST FIND EVERhttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/be...find-ever.html

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links