3 Different Coin Spills ~ 1 Merc In Each Spill ~ 1909 Injun

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I got out today for a few hours at a pounded barrio park. I love the challenge of being able to unearth some older, deeper coins that I, along with all my hunting buddies have overlooked in the past couple of years at this park. I detecting along a dirt section of a baseball field, and really surprised myself with 3 different old coin pocket spills today. Each of the pocket spills had one Merc in them. All the spills were in a 10' x 15' area of the field. One spill contained 1 "steel"(1943) penny, which is heavily corroded, 2 wheaties, and 1 Merc. The other contained another "steel" penny, 1 wheat, and 1 Merc. The final pocket spill contained 3 wheats and 1 Merc. I know how these coins were missed before. There were trash targets mixed in with the coin signals. I had to clear out at least 3-4 different pieces of trash(low to mid conductors) to get a better read on the deeper coin signals. Every time I cleared out a piece of trash from the area, I was able to hear a deep coin signal. Sometimes, it's the only way to get to the deeper coins/relics.

After pulling nearly 15 wheaties, I heard a deep, zinc sounding signal around the 7-8" mark. I was really hoping for an Injun, and my wish came true. A 1909 (no "S") Injun. :thumbsup:

So, all in all, it was a great little hunt in the Barrio. Not sure if I'll ever dig 3 different old coin spills in the same day again. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the corrosion off two of the mercs, but I wanted to take a pic of them to show you how they looked coming out of the ground.

Updated: Cleaned pic of the mercs included below. The corrosion is very stubborn. I'm going to leave them as is.

Thanks for looking!
Keep The Passion High!!

HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• pocket_spill_012109.jpg
    pocket_spill_012109.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 953
  • pocket_spill_2_012109.jpg
    pocket_spill_2_012109.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_3325_sm.jpg
    IMG_3325_sm.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 955
  • cleaned_mercs.jpg
    cleaned_mercs.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0

Ripper

Mar 18, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Etrac with Sunray x1 probe
Nice finds, I am jealous as there is about 6 inches of snow covering everything ???

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
california mders always find the good stuff :thumbsup:

S

seger98

Your finds constantly amaze me, Congratulations once again!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt..................................................................as usual, Dan. Hey, What's that stuff stuck to the coins? Why are the wheat's so corroded looking. I figured being in So Cal with little rain over the years they would have been in better shape :icon_scratch:

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
WTG Dan and nice picking out the silver in all of that trash, I love to find silver in iron it kinda makes your day knowing how many people walked over it before you go their. Congrats on a Great hunt and Good luck on your next hunt !!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job Dan...

3 different coin spills in one day. How cool is that?

You may get the Mercs cleaned up. But, good luck with those two steel 43's :wink:

It's amazing how you just keep finding coins that others (and you?) have missed before. You show how important it is to go slow and listen to what your machine is telling you. I know a lot of people who would not take the time to clear out the trash beeps the way you do. Hence, you finding the 'goodies' and them missing them.

Good luck on your next hunt !!!

Brian in MA

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
RonS-In-Marysville said:
Nice hunt..................................................................as usual, Dan. Hey, What's that stuff stuck to the coins? Why are the wheat's so corroded looking. I figured being in So Cal with little rain over the years they would have been in better shape :icon_scratch:

Thanks, Ron!! The "stuff" stuck to the Mercs is the iron from the steel pennies. The steels corroded in the ground and the mercs were sitting on top of them. All the wheats that I've been digging here in the LA area are all corroded like that. There's no getting around it....the ground is actually moist at 7", along with the fertilization in the soil, which makes the coppers get this way.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Brian in MA said:
Great job Dan...

3 different coin spills in one day. How cool is that?

You may get the Mercs cleaned up. But, good luck with those two steel 43's :wink:

It's amazing how you just keep finding coins that others (and you?) have missed before. You show how important it is to go slow and listen to what your machine is telling you. I know a lot of people who would not take the time to clear out the trash beeps the way you do. Hence, you finding the 'goodies' and them missing them.

Good luck on your next hunt !!!

Brian in MA

Thanks, Brian. Yeah that's what it's going to take to get some of those elusive old coins in trashy areas. Gotta dig the trash to get to the treasures. I think I'll just leave the 43's the way they are ;D ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
You never cease to amaze me Dan. Very nice finds!!!!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice digging, Dan!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Three pocket spills, two with 13 cents and one with 12? I wonder if there was once another penny in the 12 center. Seems kind of coincidental that those were lost within that tight area. Since two of them were 13 cents and the other was almost 13, I'm wondering if they might have been buried there long ago as part of a witchcraft spell. :o

I seem to remember something about burying 13 cents to pay for dirt that was taken for use in a spell. (or maybe I'm just imagining it ...)

Hey, however they got there, you got 'em now! :wink:

I always wondered if there would be anything left of a buried steel penny. Now I know. ;D
Neil

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You done good Dan!!! WTG :thumbsup:
I love reading your posts because they give me
the inspitation I desire to keep learning and digging.
Someday, the rewards will start coming my way as they have yours.
Congrats on a good day of hunting. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Sounds like you had an awesome day! I am surprised that you are still pulling silver and old coins out of the park! You are the king for old silver coins in my book! :icon_king: Too bad that Indian head penny wasn't a 1909 S. That would have been awesome.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Great finds. I am impressed by how you work your SE.
Dman

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. :thumbsup: I'm in the same boat as Ripper though. Snow and ice got everything locked. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread