First hunt after the freeze in Holland!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22 January Forgot to say, I was lucky to get out at all yesterday, today its raining buckets.... the whole day!
23 January, 13:30, still raining, no detecting!

Finally could get out and dig in the ground, it's thawed out now. Close where I live a farmhouse was demolished,
so I knew where to go. The farmhouse was from the 19th century (many of those had been rapidly built, and were
nowadays is bad condition), but there were farmhouse previously on the lot for centuries past. In the past I had
found two small pieces of a beautiful round gold hanger there which was from the 15th or earlier century, so my
hopes were high. But I saw pretty quickly that the ground had not been dug deeply, only a few pieces of 17th
century pottery and a piece of tile from the early 1600's was laying on the surface. But I still wanted to search,
it has been a long time since I had done that.

The farmhouse was of the 4 sided type, the type were built around a heavy wooden 4 sided construction, which
provided the backbone for the house. Because the rest of the house was in very poor condition it was removed.
The only thing left was then the 4-side wooden construction. It was moved in back of the lot and will be used
later to construct the new 'farmhouse type' of house.

Here a photo of the site with the 4-sided wood construction moved away a bit, a drawing of how the 4-sided
wood construction was used, and a typical 4-sided farmhouse.
ZwaagDorpstraat.jpg

4-side.jpg

Exampleofold4sidedfarmhouse.jpg

I searched for about a hour, it was still cold and rainy. But I had pretty good luck with the finds, most of the time
I can only find a few things at such a site, but this time I was more lucky and there were a few nice things. Found
4 coins, all from the 17th century (earliest 1602), a clay marble, two pipe cleaners, a nice knife handle, a great
button and a knife blade in almost perfect condition (17th century). Only had to use a little electrolysis on it and
then dried and perserved it.

My finds
DSCN2750a.jpg

The neat button is from the "Kweekschool voor de Zeevaart" (Maritime College School) which was constructed in 1781.
zeevaartschoola.jpg

This the the school (college) building, still in use in Amsterdam
KweekschoolvoordeZeevaart.jpg

And a photo of the 2 pipe cleaners and knife handle
2pipecleanersandaknifehandle.jpg

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Very nice post, great pictures & story. You have some really nice artifacts there. Will the coins clean up alright?

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed reading your post Woody and thanks for the
pictures and explainations.
Congratulations on the great relic and coin finds. Summertime
is not too far away and you will be able to dig deeper. Stay
warm and dry. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is extremely interesting finds. Those coins and pipe cleaners are terrific. Hope you find a bunch more there and for a long time. Keep posting. Good pics.

SKD

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have some very neat finds there. Congs......Matt

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sage said:
very,very cool woody! CONGRATS ON THOSE FINDS AND GETTING OUT!

Yea Sage, I was lucky. Today its raining cats and dogs (and maybe even monkeys)... so
home is my abode today....

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
Very nice post, great pictures & story. You have some really nice artifacts there. Will the coins clean up alright?

Thanks! I don't know about the coins. One is almost good, the others are covered with a very hard
crust. I will try but who knows. I have buckets full of copper / bronze coins that I could not clean or
even want to clean, because cleaning sometimes removed the patina. That is always a problem to clean or not.
If I am in doubt I don't clean. I do not display any (well maybe one or two) copper or bronze coins in my
display cases, there is no room. So I usually try to determine what the coin is and put it away without cleaning.
Maybe someday something will be found that would keep the oxide (patina) but remove the gunk.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reading the post! And for your kind remarks, all of you! I like to research and try to tell a bit about the
history of what I found, why was it made and who did what with it. A lot of times when I find something I really
wonder what it is, who wore it, and even who lost it (gold coins) and got their head cut off back then... The
stories that your head makes up are very interesting!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the pipe cleaners the best - very nice with no plough damage :wink:

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woody,
you are the man! Way to go, what are the coins? Keep it up, kane 23

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
good to see you finding stuff woody, and very nice stuff too! i like the handle :thumbsup:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archaeon said:
is that hammer a symbol of Thor?

Well since I don't really know what 'Thor' is or was (although I do remember the name somewhere)
I don't know. I think its just a pipe cleaner made to look like a hammer, maybe a present given to
a carpenter or something, just like we do nowadays. Tell me about Thor please...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I like the pipe cleaners the best - very nice with no plough damage :wink:
I don't really know how they got into the earth beneath the house at all, normally you find something
like this in a pit or some trash place. The hammer is perfect, the other one the sword is bent a bit.
But maybe they were lost in the ground around the farmhouse, that was a bit plowed up also. They
are nice, my first hammer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread