My wife beat me to my goal

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Hi all,

Well, it's been 4 months since I started detecting, and I am still trying to find a silver coin. I've tried old parks, and still dig up clad. After finding $365.00 in coins, not a single silver. I found a few wheaties, so I know I'm in the right areas- either these parks have been heavily hunted, or I'm just not blessed by the silver god.
So, last night I was sitting on the couch, resting from babysitting the 1 year old, and 3 year old all day, and the wife gets home from work. She said 'guess what I got back in my change today? ' It was a 1964 Washington quarter :o I couldn't believe it - she got silver before I did. Of course I held out my hand expected a gift, she said ' no- its for our sons coin collection she is putting together' >:(
So, that was it, I packed my MDing gear, and went to the park 5 minutes down the road to try, and dig something good. I wasn't mad, I just had to get out of the house to relax from babysitting all day.
It was 6 o'clock at night, and had just rained. I prefer metal detecting at night because I can concentrate better, and nobody is around. The turf was real easy to dig. Second signal was a quarter reading, so I dug my whole, and yes it was silver :), not a coin, but a huge, ugly '925' ring.
My first thought was 'I would hate to run into the person that use to wear this ring' She would probably be real scary.
Haven't got a scale to weigh it, but its real heavy. I happy with it. Just have to keep digging to get that silver coin. ;D

Happy hunting

Attachments

• P1010681.JPG
    P1010681.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 604
  • P1010684.JPG
    P1010684.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 597
  • P1010682.JPG
    P1010682.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0
S

seger98

ok, don't let it get you down, your wife got lucky. You've been out there digging for it! You will get plenty, just keep getting out there! I wouldn't mind that ring either! :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will find the silver. If you are not doing so already make sure you are swinging slowly and listening for the whisper signals that are deeper. Try burying a silver coin at different depths and listen to what it sounds like...also try it with the coin on edge since when the coins are in the ground they are not always flat. Most of the time they are on edge or at an angle.

By the way there is someone in my club that was detecting for eight years before they found a silver coin. To me that is unbelievable considering where we live and the history of the area but that is what he claims.

Good luck

NJ

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice ring!
She may have crossed the finish line first, but I think you won.
Mike

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Happens alot my friend. The fisrt silver I found wasn't with my metal detector. It was a coin star machine. 1951 Rosie. But take it as it comes, the best thing is you get to get out, spend some time with thos that are close to you and have a great time. Good luck and HH! :thumbsup:

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool "ugly" ring you have there. As long as it is silver or gold, I don't care what it looks like. Congrats!

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
What nice about the way you are doing it.. ( finding your "finds) is that when you do find the elusive silver, it will be that much sweeter!

I was with a Hunting buddy who found silver on his first outing.. nice SLQ. Hasn't found anything since that was that nice.. Its hard to live up to the bar when you set it so early..
Keep up the good finds!

Happy Hunting
J2

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver, in any form, is always good. Congrats to both of you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Suckerpunched

Nov 15, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Hey....look at the bright side :)You're $365 better off than when you started...your wife works.............and she came home ;D ;D Could be worse.........

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there, your time will come, I have only found 2 silvers in 6 plus years and trust me once you find it, :thumbsup: all the clad you have dug will be worth it!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread