New Member, First Post, River Find Of Pipe (help date) Petrified Bone and Flint

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
Hello fellow treasure hunters. My name is Jim and this is my first post. Hope the pics are placed right. I just found this site while researching some of my other finds and I'm glad I did. I am currently living in Kansas but I have lived allover and I hunt for treasure everywhere I go.

I have hunted for treasure my whole life and I don't limit myself to just one way or style of hunting. I metal detect, scuba dive, surface hunt, dig, I go to auctions, estate sales, flea markets, etc. I hunt and collect about anything vintage to ancient.

I love all archeology and I collect artifacts from all cultures. I try to go surface and metal detecting on ancient sites as often as possible.

I was very fortunate to have parents that are in to treasure hunting, digging bottles, antiquing, finding Indian artifacts etc. So I was born in to this way of life and have a knack for finding things because of that. My parents exposed me to this "sickness" that I don't mind having. I usually keep everything I find but in the future I plan to open my own web site to sell off some stuff and about half of the site will be a museum. You know, for things I could never bring myself to get rid of.

I have permission to hunt a an old Fort which I hunted in the summer of 1993 and I found 10, 5 gallon buckets of locks, blacksmith made axe heads, U.S. tent stakes, buckels, bottles, etc. in about 4 hours. It is packed and I plan on going back this spring or summer. I will show you my finds.

I went surface hunting on a river today and I found some interesting things (but not my best). In this area you can find bones that are from the last ice age and older. Even ancient human bones are found as well as Paleo tools and Clovis Points. If you are lucky you can find Bison skulls and mastodon teeth. The last picture is of a Bison tooth.

Here is what I found:
Petrified Bones
A Bone Trigger Awl
Flint Flakes Flaked by Man
Trade Era Pipe (Kaolin Clay) (found Nov. 2nd same spot)
Bison Tooth

Here is the Trigger Awl. This was used as a tool for many purposes but the most interesting is knapping flint in to tools and projectile points. I have found several of these but this one is real nice because of its age, It is petrified. It also shows wear from use on the trigger and the tip. These were held in the hand with the first two fingers on the triggers and the thumb on top which allowed for a great amount of pressure and leverage.
100_5676.JPG
100_5684.JPG
Here are other petrified bones that I found today. Many of these are from extinct animals and mammals. I find these often and sometimes they show cut marks from being butchered by ancient man. The University of Kansas has an awesome museum of these bones and artifacts of ancient man.
100_5696.JPG
100_5697.JPG

Here are some flint flakes and chips that are the bi product of knapping flint into tools and projectile points. All show working and flaking by man and two could have been lancets. The triangle shaped one is a broken unifacial knife made from a flake (most likely paleo). There are also two dark brown bone points.
100_5689.JPG

Here is a find from the same spot that I found Nov. 2nd. This is a Trade Era Kaolin (china clay) pipe. I have dug these before but I usually don't find them in the river. This is broken, the stems are originally long. Indians however did intentionally break the stems to use as beads in a necklace and this was found just below an Indian site I am hunting.

I am trying to date this pipe. I know it is older because most in the 1800's were just molded heads with reed stems. This one has an older shaped bowl. I have a book titled "Indian Trade Relics" which has this exact pipe with the same bowl and elbow and it dates it to mid to late 1600's and another book dates it to exactly 1620. Both books state that it is European made, which the older ones are. Are there any pipe experts out there who would know the exact date of production? I hope the books are correct because that is very early for almost any trade relic around here (Kansas). That is between the time of The Spanish (Coronado) and the French fur traders. It sure does have the age, patina and wear on it to be from the 1600's.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back or knowledge anyone has on this pipe, thanks.
Pipe 8 11-2-08.jpg
PIPE10  11-2-08.jpg
PIPE 2  11-2-08.jpg
PIPE 15  11-2-08.jpg
PIPE 17  11-2-08.jpg
PIPE 21  11-2-08.jpg
This is an extinct Bison tooth
100_5143.JPG

I look forward to sharing treasures, finds, knowledge, ideas and having fun with all of you.

Thanks
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BOOTY HUNTER

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
plehbah said:
That pipe bowl with the forward tilt and the more slender bowl proportions looks early to me, at least the late 18th century. I will defer to others on the final say though.

What part of the country are you in? If you are not on the East Coast, I would say you can start getting excited about finding ceramics like that pipe bowl.

I am in East Kansas and I find a lot of stuff in this area so I do expect to find more pipes and early artifacts. I have found clay trade pipes like this before but not of this age. I also found an early French beaver trap in this area not long ago. I also have a big year planned as I have many sites I have been researching so I will gladly share my finds with everyone.

Thanks
Jim

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot of bone coming out of that site. very cool.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Like your posts even though the pics are SOOO big...lol

Goood hunting

SKD

OP
OP
BOOTY HUNTER

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
SoreKneesDayton said:

Goood hunting

SKD
Thank You, I'm glad to be here and I will work on my pictures. I am using a new phot program and haven't figured out how to shrink them yet. There will be lots of other good stuff to come.
Thanks
Jim

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BOOTY HUNTER,
welcome to the board.

Sounds like you have been at it for some time,
and yes, many folks have the ""sickness" . ;D :wink:

Hope we will be seeing even more of you finds.

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, welcome to this great site. Love your stuff and story. It is a sickness, it's all I want to do.

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure what "petrified" means. Does that mean fossilized, or something else?

Nice finds. We don't see much bone on here.

OP
OP
BOOTY HUNTER

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
SoreKneesDayton said:

Goood hunting

SKD
Thanks for the welcome, take another look.....I fix the pics, Ha Ha.

OP
OP
BOOTY HUNTER

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
jsandin said:
I'm not sure what "petrified" means. Does that mean fossilized, or something else?

Thanks a lot. I'm glad you like them. I find cooler stuff than this usually, you will see. Petrified is when the organic material is replaced by minerals (a silification process). It makes them kind of take on a glass like quality. They actually sound like glass if you jingle them together in your hand kinda like silver coins (high pitch). I fixed the pics since you saw them. Take another look.
Jim

OP
OP
BOOTY HUNTER

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
jsandin said:

Hey, I just saw where you are from. I live right down the street from you at 119th & Pflumm, Overland Park, KS. Howdy Neighbor!!!!!!!!! We might have to get together.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds !! And welcome to Tnet ! Sounds like you found a awesome spot im looking forward to some more pics and posts !!

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the best forums on the net and a A Big Howdy From Alabama.

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Re: New Member, First Post, River Find Of Pipe (help date) Petrified Bone and Fl

WTG,Looks like you have a good spot,Love the Indian artifacts and the old pipe !!!!! :thumbsup:

O

ohannos

Thats some super finds. Glad to hear that you have more to share :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BOOTY HUNTER

BOOTY HUNTER

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009
East Kansas
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Detector
ohannos said:
Thats some super finds. Glad to hear that you have more to share :thumbsup:
Thanks, Glad to be here, in just two days I have already made friends and found hunting partners. Glad you like thefinds. There will be a lot more to come.

Jim

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm sure you have heard this a few times, Welcome to Treasure Net. I really like your flint, I hunt
here in Ohio for Indian artifacts when I'm not metal detecting. Heck sometimes while detecting
I pick up a arrowhead or two.

Nice finds!

HH,Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions