Attachments

• 000_1135a.JPG
    000_1135a.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,679
Upvote 0

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Good thing you just didn't cast it aside as just a slug, but rather, soaked it awhile. I didn't think you'd find something that old around here. Mayhaps a Spanish Conquistador lost it while searching for gold. They too were here. Great find JD.

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks MalteseFalcon for the info, although its basically worthless I'm still glad to have something that old. :)

Matejko

Jul 18, 2005
Warsaw-Poland
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Really nice one J.D. !!! :o

Looks like copper coin, great condition !!!
Congrats !!!!!

Pozdrawiam Matejko :o :o :o

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's only 300 years older than my oldest coin find! Big deal! (Just kidding!) That is an awesome find!
And many more....

EyeShine

Sep 3, 2005
I'm not so sure it's a maraveides...
The VII is present, and it seems the shield/crest as well, but look at the placement ov the VIII in relation to the shield/crest shape. J.D.'s coin has the VII on the SIDE of what would be the shield/crest, while the maraveides you posted has the VII OVER or on the top of... she sheild/crest.

Also, the left picture really doesn't have much more than the date visible, however there are some markings that are somewhat distinguishable on the right picture, and they don't seem consistent with the ones you posted. I realize that the ones you posted are obviously not of the same strike design, but they are both fairly consistent with the placement of relevant numbers on either side of the crests, and both seem to date 1610-1640

W

wpricetr

I see the goose to on the right side of the coin / token so i dont think your crazy
(unless i am too)
Great find Way cool

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!! Great find, WTG!!!
It's just a little bit older than the way I feel these days... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Actually at first I thought it might have been a UK coin from the reign of Charles I, as coins struck during his reign had a VII on it. But then I happened to find the page I noted above, and discovered that there is a lot of inconsistency between coins of this type (Spanish), as there are some that were minted, then overstruck, then overstruck again, and there were many that were overstruck with a VIII for some reason. Note that it appears to be a VIII instead of a VII, it is just that there is not much left of the last "I" other than the bottom of it...

In the above case, as I mentioned before, the VIII is not in the same location from coin to coin, as it is an overstrike (not on it originally). So it's location relevant to the shield cannot be expected to be consistent.

That said, I am in NO WAY an expert on European coins of the 17th Century. I guess I am just posting my amateurish opinion as to what it is. :)

I think we can agree on the date, though, and that J.D. made a really cool discovery!

Let's root for him to discover an old powderkeg filled with gold and silver coins!
;D

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Just tell us what state or country you found it in! Dont need a city or anything like that, just a state or country or even a region.

Fellow Missourian!
Chris

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERE is a Lightend Pic of your Find jd.

I'd bet you Found it in N.J. , Pa or Delaware.

Were you EVER at Coin Beach ?

Attachments

• indk.jpg
    indk.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 843
  • Copy of indk.jpg
    Copy of indk.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 841

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Jeff, I don't think the coins at Coin beach are that old. the coin there are from the wreck of the Faithful Steward that went down in 1785.
Have you had any luck there? I have hunted it a few times but found just clad. Have you been to the ship wreck museum in Fenwick DE? http://www.discoversea.com/Homex.html

I'v Never Been Down There ROB ;

However My Understanding WAS, There Are Many ships Off Shore.

Since I havn't Even Reacherd The Area , I guess I was Wrong.

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting