2 Wheats and A 1934 Elgin Bike medallion!!!! :) Mystery solved! Thanks

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! Well I got to JuJu's at 7:30am. he said 8:00am but I was just too excited to hunt the 1908 house where he had pulled silver and an indian. We got to the house at 8:00am and started searching. For the first two targets, I pulled up a 1942s and a 1947 wheats right off the bat! :thumbsup: Great start, at least I should say! :) I then walked around with the detector awhile, swining it slowely, when I got an iffy penny sounding signal. I dug down and got a WWI Figurine of some sort. Its a cannon type thing, but it looks like a monopoly piece to me.

I then moved around to the side of the house where all of teen wheats were discovered. I got a big fat quarter signal! :) It read a solid 00 28 on my SE. I dug down and was expecting a silver quarter. Instead I got a medallion sort of thing that reads Elgin. Looks like the first letter was cut off maybe :icon_scratch: It is definatly a brass metal of some sort with a little bit of copper inside it. Some parts look silver even though it is not. Please identify the year it was made and give me any information that you can find on it.

I then got garbage the rest of the time, we were at the house. JuJu and I decided to go to my uncles 1880 or 1889 home and got absolutly nothing. Except for junk, that is.

Our final stop was at a park, only to try and get some clad and maybe even a silver ring. Which we did not get...

Anyways Please help me on identifying this medallion! I will post it in the What is section too.

Had a great hunt Juju! Your birthday party was fun as well! :) ;D

January25thsfinds003.jpg

January25thsfinds004.jpg

January25thsfinds002.jpg

January25thsfinds005.jpg

January25thsfinds001.jpg

Click link for picture of where the emblam would be on the bike! :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2070416226_38a488f3f3.jpg?v=0

Upvote 0

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Re: 2 Wheats and a strange Elgin medallion..Need help identifying! Maybe a big find?

Looks like you guys had another great day detecting and see my hex is working...LOL. Great wheatie finds there DF On the medallion, looks like part from an old bike. I had a bike that had a big wing on the side but not sure the name, was a long time ago and used quite a few gray cells since then.

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 491
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 509

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2 Wheats and a strange Elgin medallion..Need help identifying! Maybe a big find?

Excellent job, DF. I agree with 49'er, it looks like a wing from the fender or tank of some old Elgin bicycle from the 50's. Looks like it was a fun hunt with Juju. I'd like to join you guys sometime...I'll have to let you in on a place I hit sometimes.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2 Wheats and A 1934 Elgin Bike medallion!!!! :) Mystery resolved! Thanks

look like you got some nice finds.....Matt

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds DF! Sounds like you guys had a good time. Love the emblem :thumbsup:

HH!
TBGO

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Any day you can get out and do some detecting
is a good day and being with a buddy makes it all the better.
Congrats on some good finds DF. The Elgin emblem is a
sweet find too. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Great finds. Looks like some nice relics. I can't help with an ID.
Dman

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Cool finds, DF!!

Too bad the antique handle bar ornament was a little broken. I would have gotten it chromed if it was intact.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a great time DF. Glad you had fun at my B-Day party. Lookin forward to the next hunt. Hey and thanks for the great gift. For everyone else, DF got me a subscription to Western and Eastern treasure for my B-day. ;D Super Cool.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions