Whites MXT

jlewisk

Apr 4, 2005
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Whites MXT
Head phones are not necessary, but they really help whith the low tones on deep items.

Try wearing them by covering only one ear and the other above the ear. This way I can here the lower tones and still have one ear free to here other things.

This is a very good relic machine.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Mxt is a really good detector. My brother has had one since they first came out. I use a dfx. Mxt goes deep on coins and the smallest of artifacts at great depths. Althoe I like the dfx over it. It is very similar to my dfx in depth and sensitivity. It's easy to run and can be adj very easily. Dfx is to complicated. It will take years to master it. If you get to that point with it. You don't really need headphones deep in the woods. There is no type of noises in the woods to interfere. I live in p.a and the mxt handles ground conditions well here. You could just use the headphones after you clean a area out to make sure there are no wisper beeps you can't here without them.

Unless your really serious about learning a tough machine buy the dfx. If you want a great machine for 700.00 there's none better than the mxt at that price range. I know these units very well. I have been using them for over 10 yrs. I am very familar with white's. That has helped me learn them alot better.? As each new one has come out.

There balanced extremely well. The weight of 4lbs is good for long hunting. There well built and apeal to the eye. They pinpoint great. I could go on. Having the best unit out there doesn't make you the best treasure hunter. Finding good locations and learning how to use the unit better than the next guy will be key for sucess.

Good Luck with your choice.

HH Jeremy

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? Wearing headphones will also increase battery life substantially. The MXT is a very versatile turn on and go detector. Many different size coils available. Deep seeking and sensitive to lower conductive targets such as nickels and gold. But also to little pieces of foil. Have heard does not do real well on wet salt water beaches. I sure don't regret buying mine. Check out the detector reviews section on this forum.

TOWcritter

I have one and the only problem (I wouldn't call it that though) that it has is when going from wet to dry sand at a saltwater beach. It tends to get a little chattery. A few pumps of the coil will take care of it then you can put it in the lock position, no more chatter. I usually stay in one or the other and just avoid crossing wet to dry altogether. No problem. Other than that, it goes deep, handles highly mineralized soil fairly well, accepts lots of aftermarket coils ( I have an excellerator 5" for the trash) and you can swing it all day without getting too tired out. Mid-range price for a (in my opinion) high range machine. Good luck on your decision.

T

tkfishing

I'am very new to the hobby and talked with a lot of people before I decided to purchase my MXT. I can't say enough about how well the machine works. I really don't have anything to compare it to since this was my first detector. I have been using the MXT for two weeks and I have found probably $5.00 in change, 1-1850 half dime, a button I believe from the Civcil War and two bullets. It was well worth the money. Good luck!!

P

PrizmIV

Nothing to complain about on mine.......except for I think it should have an automatic mosquito replier. ;)

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I have a Whites Spectrum XLT and it seems to be pretty good. I'm new to it so I don't know the difference between the XLT and the MXT but it's been a pretty accurate detector.

HH

Steven

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread