Todays finds from the woods!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Heres what i found on my daily excursion into the woods behind my house :D? @ shotgun shells and a band that says "Mass Div. Fish & Game" massachussetts division of wish and game it means.? Anyone know what it is or how old is it, i think its Aluminum because its light and there was a yellowish patina on it.? Not much but the band is a keeper ;D? Is it a pigeon band?

Attachments

• shells.JPG
    shells.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 444
  • band.JPG
    band.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 446
  • band (1).JPG
    band (1).JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
PDX Lefty said:
My guess on the band is that they used it to mark some kind of game bird.

I agree with Lefty. It looks identical to a marking band that they but on a birds ankle.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake,
That looks like a duck leg band to me. I googled it real quick and look what I found. Who would have known that those bad boys come in gold. I guess that goes to show that you can order anything on the net.

Does it have a number on it. I'm sure you can run a track on it and find out where the bird was tagged and how far it made it before that band got to be so heavy that bird had to take a little rest and some hungy fox was just walking along out in your woods. Well you know the rest.

http://www.Elwood.com/

great find keep us posted on the flight.

Kermit

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Contact Mass. Fish & Game. They will probably want to know where you found it.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Anyone know how i could go about contacting them? I would like to find out what kind of animal wore it and also what program it was part of. And how old it is :)

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
It looks like an old pheasant band. The state used to stock on private land but haven't for many years. You could contact them at the feild HQ in Westboro mass. Cladius.

M

mchamby

Thats a very interesting find and I believe the guys are right in advising you to contact the fish and game dept, it will be interesting to know what bird it was on and when, make sure to update us on what you learn. :)
Mchamby

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
It was a good find for only 10 minutes of detecting, but i know where to look out there. The area I was detecting was a wider path about 15 feet long that produces alot of shotgun shells, thus probably why the band was there. There is no number or anything else on the band. Is there an email adress for the mass div. fish & game? Of course ill keep you guys updated ;)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a neat find Jake! Do let us know what you find out!

Nana ;)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, I found a band exactly like yours. I found mine this spring in the woods about 2-3 inches deep

with my XLT. On the band it says Avise bird band, write Washington D.C. followed by a serial #

Anyway I live in south west Mo. so the bird was a long way from D.C.

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
In my part of the country they band ducks with those. If you kill a duck with a band you are supposed to contact the fish and game department with the info. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions