ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
steal of a deal -- $75 silver coin in the 12 for $1 "scrap box " at local store

yep gotta love em -- in the 12 for a buck box --today after going for my mri for my hurt back --I decided to drop by my local coin store for a bit ( I went there to buy a silver chain there for my nephew's 13th brithday present a 1995 1 oz silver coin that I am making into a necklace for him )--he and his dad are headed up to my place to watch the superbowl with me this weekend -- while there I rifled thru their" trash coins" box -- (I know this place is prone to slip ups -- I've found several good silver overseas coins and tokens in the past there.) --- today's gem was a 1901 2 drachmai from crete (under greece's control) -- in "fair" condition this KM8 coin listed at 40.00 in my 2000 world coins -- and when I rechecked current prices online $75.00 in fair --not that many were made it seems - 175,000 . (10 g of .835 silver or over an 1/4 of an oz of "pure silver ".(2685 oz) -- heck even the melt value is at least $3 at $12 per oz ) :wink: and since I only got 3 coins the gal there only charged me 25 cents* for the three coins I got out of the box , since my back is hurt badand I can not go detecting this was a nice "surprize".

bottom line --at least $3 worth of silver at $12 per oz (12 x my investment of 25 cents) up to minimum book value of $75.00 ( 300 x my investment )

Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: steal of a deal -- in the 12 for $1 "scrap box " at local coin store -- chac

Nice one - there's often a few treasures in boxes/quantities of world coins and you did very well.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: steal of a deal -- in the 12 for $1 "scrap box " at local coin store -- chaching

yep this place buys folks complete collections -- then sorts thru em --pulling out all the us coinage, and easy to id high dollar coins and silver and gold stuff ---afterward they throw the "culls" or junk as they call em in the 12 for a buck box --- but they often screw up on greek and arabic coins (some which are silver --others copper / nickle mix - the trick is knowing which one is which) and a few other hard to id "foreign" silver coins .-- and of course -- I never gloat while I'm there * (never wize up a fool if their being a fool is to your benefit --- since they ask their price for something and you paid for it -- its simple as that)-- to go ---hey I just got a silver coin or a rare copper token out of your 12 for a buck "trash box" ----would be the kiss of death for my little gold mine . -- so I let em laugh at the "odd ball" who likes to buy "junk coins"-- while I laugh all the way to the bank afterwards. :wink: -- over the last few years --I found a king george III copper-- a 1834 singapore "rooster trade token" -- a civil war trade token --and several silver "foreign" coins

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: steal of a deal -- $75 silver coin in the 12 for $1 "scrap box " at local store

WTG on your finds, You don't have to get out and MD to find good coins you prove it today...Matt

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: steal of a deal -- $75 silver coin in the 12 for $1 "scrap box " at local store

Plehblah, I wish I could find any kind of coin/coins in cereal box.

Keep @ it and HH!!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice job! I too used to cherry pick coin store "junk boxes". Especially for tokens, I would snap up any I came across.

Rick

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

SUPER FIND. I WOULD TAKE THAT ANY DAY.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions