Nice Buffalo Nickel from the Cleveland Metroparks

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Today my son and I headed out to Hickley Reservation. The lake was built in the late 1920's and is part of the Cleveland Metroparks. Earlier this summer my wife and I went on a little outing here. My son tagged along with a metal detector and found a 1917 Merc. dime and a wheat penny. So today we got serious and brought both of our metal detectors( a White's Classic III and a White's DFX). Being the good father I gave my son the DFX(my son is 15). His first coin he finds is a wheat penny. Then he finds the Buffalo nickel. I got a little excited but after that it was mostly pull tabs. All in all we found:

1 - 1917 Merc. Dime
1 - 1936 Buffalo Nickel
5 - Wheat Pennies(1916, 1916S, 1935, 1940, 1955)
2 - Quarters
1 - Dime
24 - Pennies

The soil in this area was highly mineralized so it was a bit of a challenge. Even the DFX was struggling. I did a test with the Classic III. I put a dime down 1.5". It would not recognize the dime unless I turned down the discrimination almost all the way. Hence the pull tabs. Sigh. Overall we felt it was a successful trip.

Attachments

• Hinkely coins finds smallest size.JPG
    Hinkely coins finds smallest size.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 211
  • hinkely overall finds small.JPG
    hinkely overall finds small.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
NIce finds, sometimes we have to take the trash to get the good finds.
congrats again.

Mike

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey nice finds!! that coin with the hole in it......is that a chinese cash coin?that could have some age to it! thanks for posting your finds!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds with the Buffalo and silver Mercury! ?I noticed you didn't mention the Chinese coin, it could be 200-300 years old and I wonder why it's there? ?Interesting find. ?HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread