first detecting trip

C

cm5838

today was my first trip just for detecting, i hope it gets better, all the places i have always thought to be good have all since been gated off or built over, I ended up visiting my parents and played with the detector i there yard and found three clad pennies a late dime and a new quarted, not too mention some of the toys i had lost as a kid there. either way it was not a total loss, i learned more about the detector, and used it to help my father find his sewer main. My xlt picked it up 18 inches down, although it said 13.5 inches, is that as far as the screen will read?. Will try again tomarrow.
Charles

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
It was almost a year before I found my first "good" treasure. I spent alot of time learning my detector as well as what a detectorist should be. I learned alot about research, coin cleaning, history and how to approach potential hunt sites and their owners. There's alot to this treasure hunting thing. Don't get down, it gets better. Good luck and HH! Chris

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those target I.D. meters are calibrated for coin size targets. If a target is larger than coin size, the meter will indicate that the object is shallower. Targets that are smaller than coin size will read as though they are deeper.

OP
OP
C

cm5838

that makes sense, now that i think about it, it was doing that. I am impressed by the ability of that detector though, it picked up items so small at 1.5 inches that my old detector couldnt see if it was laying on the coil, even rang good on a tiny little lead split shot sinker. I think my next detector will be a gmt to go along with this one.
Charles

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a xlt and set it on coin and jewelry and have great luck. I once found a lead shot about the size of a bb at 9 inches. The signal
was strong, but it seems when the ground is wet it works so much better ! And I know this sounds dumb but when a front is moving in
I get tons of good signals for awhile then after the front has passed it slows down. Good luck Tim

OP
OP
C

cm5838

well, off to try it again today.
Charles

OP
OP
C

cm5838

skunked again, got a bullet and a sinker. found a lot more locked gates where ther didnt used to be any. Will have to research a place to go next weekend. oh well, at least i didn't have to pack in a dredge to find nothing.
Charles

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there and done that too. I packed my dredge into one of my all time favorite md'ing holes and came up empty. I forgot to consider the flood we had just a week before. :'( On the good side, if your finding shot and sinkers your going to find gold! Good luck and HH! Chris

popcorn

Jun 18, 2005
you had alot more luck than I had in my yard I can certify My yard a junk yard because that all my machine found in twenty five acres. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread