Any dentists out there? - Need help with this item...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I found this item at the beach a couple days ago. I believe it is some dental work - metal caps for three teeth. It is a very hard metal (not plyable like lead) and is also very heavy.

I know that gold is often used for dental work. Could this item be white gold? It appears to gray in color to be white gold. Could it be platinum???? I don't know if platinum was ever used to make caps for teeth, but I sure would appreciate any info anyone has.

Also, if I took this in to a jeweler, could they identify whether this is platinum very easily?

Thanks!

Attachments

• teethcap.jpg
    teethcap.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MOST LIKELY" PLATINUM "TEETH.

The End Ones Would Have Capped the Teeth & the Center one like a Bridge.

I'd Say A Reputable Jewler Would Be able to ID the Metal.

Here is 4 GOLD TEETH

Attachments

• TEETH_3.jpg
    TEETH_3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 429
Z

ZumbroKid

Very different find, that much is for sure. I bet the owner isn't having steak today.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
It looks just like the bridge + crown work I had done 5 years ago...which BTW has already broke! cost me $3000+ >>>>>>>>NO WAY was it worth it! PLUS they destroyed 2 GOOD teeth to do it! ughhhh. javascript:void(0); Mine is just silver.
ash

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GDIgger,
For sure teeth. I work in a Prison and I look at them everyday. Most are gold but they come in all forms and fashions to include with stones, letters you name it. The thing is that those don't come out easy I wonder where the rest of the dude is.

Kermit

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
palladium is used for teeth these days although there is a new non precious metal substitute too very little platinum used anym ore

you can find values for palladium on precious metals charts

HH Vrent

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I am not a dentist but my dad practiced for over 50 years and is now retired.? He is in the room with me and I mentioned the question here to him.?

There are a series of alloys, by brand names, that could be what you have.? ?2 alloys that my dad mentioned are Nobillium and Vitallium.? ?I just did a quick search on GOOGLE, on those products and they come up heavilly in listings for dental labs.?

My dad discribed them as extremely hard and less expensive than gold.? ?He mentioned that there are no precious metals in them.? ?Palladium, Platinum, and Gold are precious metals.?

Looking on the net, I can't find anything on the brands, Nobillium or Vitallium but I find them referenced in other products that say that they are the same formulation or similar.? ?

One that I found discribes them as CR-CO alloys.? Then goes on as follows.

"Cr-Co high heat partial denture alloy as manufactured to F-75-67 specification. Comparable in chemistry to Vitallium, Nobillium, Regalloy, Niranium, Neoloy, Dentex, Jetenko, Dentonium, etc.

Contains: Cobalt 65.5%, Chrome 28.5%, Molybdenum 6%."

I would think, if you want to identify the metal and it's value,? or confirm that what you have is one of these alloys, seek out a local dental lab to see if they can identify it.? ?Maybe talk to your family dentist.? ?If he/she can't identify it, they might be able to direct you to a lab that could.?

?

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you didn't think I would see that ring in the background. Don't let those teeth eat up all the attention.

LOL

Kermit

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you didn't think I would see that ring in the background. ?Don't let those teeth eat up all the attention.

LOL

Kermit

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad way too much coffee today. ?The old trigger finger got a little clicky......

click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ?
click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ?

click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ?
click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click

click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? click ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?click

Kermit

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Here is another update to my research. Having a personal interest in Jewelry, I have been looking at all these alloys with some interest.

In the silver, white or gray color spectrums, there seems to be a few types of alloys used in dental metals. Of course there is silver but I don't get the impression that Silver is often used in partials or bridges. Probably due to it's softness etc. There are a few alloys that are specifically mentioned for these aplications.

They are,

Nickel Chromium Baryllium alloys
Nickel Chromium with High Chromium
Nickel Chromium with LOW Chromium
and Cobalt Chromium alloys.

My guess is that your partial is one of those above. There is some mention that comes up from time to time to Baryllium Free and now I found Nickel Free as mentioned above. The Cobalt Chromium alloys, it is mentioned, is often used for people who have allergies to Nickel.

The two that I mentioned before, and the one that I linked to are all brand names of similar formulations of the Cobalt Chromium alloys. Those will vary in actual metal content from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My understanding is that Platinum and Palladium are used in some GOLD alloys. Haven't looked specifically at those as I have been looking at all these white alloys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions