Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a couple of hours today. Grass was high so hunting was hard. Found a 1935 50-pfenning piece and a couple of 50 caliber shells. I can't believe I am saying this but I am looking forward to the cold weather so this grass will die off. So far, have found 7 coins in this field. Hopefully, this winter I should do better when the grass dies (if I survive the cold!) and the ground is not frozen. HH.

Attachments

• 50pfenning.JPG
    50pfenning.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 50cals.JPG
    50cals.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Any coin is a good coin! This winter I'm sure going to enjoy all of the relics your sure to find as well. Good luck and HH!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Bman, I don't think I have one yet. If you get the chance, drive around and look for farmers working in their fields, stop and ask permision, take your detector with and show the farmer to help with the language barrier, just a suggestion. I recieved permission for two fields today that way, just stopped and asked the farmers. A tip for you, if you have some corn fields you might want to hunt, they will probably not be seeded this year, probably plowed and very course plowed known as leg breakers, LOL! The farmers are harvesting a little at a time right now and those harvested areas are open to detect, a little hard due to left stalks but it works. The corn will be fully harvested in about 15 days. If they get plowed, after that they will stand dormant until Spring. HH, Mike

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great finds!! I think that blue color on the tip of that bullet means its an incendiary round or something like that...was this a military area?

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A city near hear was bombed pretty hard during the war and the US army rolled through here at the end of the war but I don,t know much more then that. I have also found black tip and plain tipped rounds but not real sure what the difference is. I do have a very nice Field I have my eye on. I have found coins on a walking trail right next to it.Someone told me the farmer don't speak English but his wife does.I am going to go over that way soon and see if he gives me the thumbs upin the next week or so..I hate the winter but there will be lots of open areas I guess I'll see how it goes.Thanks for looking.HH

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Real nice finds there.

Please don't mention the "W" word already. It's getting to close....... :'( Gotta start detcting more

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
Winter!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes!!!!!!! oh I forgot, we don't have those in fla. I so look forward to the cool season, this way I can spend mores hours out in the field.

Nice finds birdman, I find it interesting how each of us, from different areas, have our own perfect conditions.

congrats again

Mike

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in the pan handle of Florida for a while and loved it :D. These winters are still rough on me but should be good hunting until the ice and snow starts. :-[

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
DugHoles said:
Please don't mention the "W" word already. It's getting to close....... :'(? Gotta start detecting more

Mike in Fla. said:
Winter!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes!!!!!!! oh I forgot, we don't have those in fla.

Would someone please slap Mike in Fla. please..... ;)? ;D? :P I mean what a showoff.... ::) What I would give to MD at a beach and MD year round......I'm so envious.? ? Someday...................... :'(

All in fun,

DugHoles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A black nose usually would mean an armour piercing bullet. It's the red and white tips that you have to be careful. Red usually means HEI or high explosive impact. White usually means white phosporus which is designed to burn and start fires. I say usually because between the wars and in peacetime it is not uncommon for them to change except for red which always means danger. White was also used for tracer I think. KS

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks KS ! Great info! I have a few of these and did not know what the colors meant. I don't work with ammo so I was very curious .Thanks a bunch. :)

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info! :DThis web site answers alot of questions. The shells I found in the picture say SL 43 andthe other said RA 43. I have more I will go through now and see where they were made. Most are 1943 but I have found one 1942. :)Thanks much.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread