May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

Vp here, man was it beautiful out today in central PA !! Near 50 and the snow is FINALLY melting off - a perfect chance to go detecting. Paco came over and brought an old buddy KirkPA - we took off to a couple of new fields. The snow had melted just enough that some of the soil was showing through but we would soon learn that it was still rock hard in some places.

Paco found an old religious charm for a necklace at the first spot - I found the counter stamped large cent and wheat penny at the second field. It is counterstamped twice with the letters S.G other than that you can BARELY see the liberty in the hairband, no other detail.

Kirk found a smallish, very thin silver coin at the third field. It was pretty ugly and we think went thru a fire but it is for sure a 1/2 reale - it's the 4th reale we've gotten from this farm - he found it in a spot that we've all gone over many times in the past - so it was cool to see him pull it out, he was smiling from ear to ear !

take care,

vp
www.Treasure-Valley.net

Attachments

• counterstamped.jpg
    counterstamped.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 864
Upvote 0

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to all. :thumbsup:
Nice to to see theres LC`s left up there.
Mirage and i plan on hitting a spot in the great lakes region in June, hope we find as many goodies.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go guys. Great finds indeed. :thumbsup:
So you're telling me that Kirk was a happy gibbon, and hasn't lost his touch? :tongue3: ;D :wink:
Congrats,
Doug

S

seger98

Sounds like you guys did alright! Glad ya got out..

Chris

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the counterstamped LC, I wonder what it means? HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.exonumia.com/art/cmc.htm

Doesn't appear on the above site & I have checked my British countermarked coin book & doesn't appear in there either :icon_scratch: So it may remain a mystery.

Why is KirkPA not posting his coin?

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Does anyone have the Brunk's (sp?) countermark guide? I bought a counterstamped large cent the other day and would like to see if the mark is known.

I don't want to buy the book yet though.

Send me a PM if you have it and would be willing to look it up for me.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Evidently, little is known about this "S:G" countermark, although it is illustrated on p. 169 of Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins. He notes that all known examples have two identical stamps, aligned as they are on your find. Three known varieties or examples are listed.

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
That's not bad at all. :thumbsup:

Keep it up

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks all for your posts

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PBK said:
Evidently, little is known about this "S:G" countermark, although it is illustrated on p. 169 of Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins. He notes that all known examples have two identical stamps, aligned as they are on your find. Three known varieties or examples are listed.

very cool, thanks for the info - it doesn't mention what part of the country they are normally found does it ?

vp

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a different find. Stamped large cents used as tokens are not found to often. That is a nice piece........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread