some of you may appreciate this story and pics

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Here in Bethlehem Pa there is an area off limits to detectorists- old historic section. However if you go a little bit away there is an ol stream next to the section and its old. Well to make a long story short I got a beep and dug 7 inches and pulled a coin. Condition was spectacular and it looked old but I put it in the pouch and went for more. Well when I got home I asked my daughter to tell me what she could read. She nailed all the pertinent stuff like the 1773 date and the Georg stuff and then said Dad: down here on the bottom its says Glory- which kinda made sense so obviously I'm pumped up a 1773 Virginia 1/2 penny in mint I mean mint condition. I'm howling at the moon. Then I show it to my wife and she looks at it and says cool ......and then she says whats this mean down here- C-------O----------P--------Y------ I said that means I'm screwd.
Wouldn't you know it and subconsciously I knew it was in too good a shape.

Attachments

• P1010092.JPG
    P1010092.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 621
  • P1010093.JPG
    P1010093.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 612
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm sorry johny mc....hahahaha....that is so darn funny! hahaha!

Maybe next time!

:D

hahahaha!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you need to do is get you one of those little metal stamping kits and change it to "Don't COPY This", or maybe "Not A COPY", or perhaps, "This Ain't No COPY"! JIM aka KS

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't win em all. :-\ Still a cool find.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Someone Knew You were Comming ;D

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know that there was such a beast as a copy coin.

Who ever came up with that Ideal was not into MDing

I KNOW " Lets make a bunch of copy coins and let the kids takem out side and play store." ?NOT

Great find anyway now I guess I should go back and take a look at my coins and see how many copies I got.

Kermit

OP
OP
J

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Kermit- I did some research the next day grudgingly I might add....and ....a company named HistoryFirst produces these types of copies and sells them to places near historic areas. Funny thing is the family probably bought 3-4 coins for $16-20 bucks...... when that same investment into real coins would be pure brillance......
My grandmother knew I was into coin collecting when I was a kid and bought me a 1909 S lincoln penny for $15 that today is worth about $100. Many people think detectorists are a whacky lot but little do they know......if we ran the world there would be no deficit.....bring us your change.
.....that's my motto.

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johny Mc the story is even funnier here than when you told me on the phone!!! I can feel your heart pumping when you found that thing bud!!! good job getting published in American Digger...see you bud :) jd

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds like you could have been set up. I feel for you.

OP
OP
J

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
When I get a chance I'll post a pic of this place. Make your mouth drool over the possibilities. As far as the #2 dump situation I doubt it. You'd be arrested in a heart beat -cops all over the place. The site is the perfect place to sit with your family or mistress (did I say that)...just kidding ....................and cool off by the stream and view the old Moravian buildings and imagine what life was like. Either that or after too much beverage and rolling around it fell out of said person's pocket. It was too deep for a plant job. Now I do know a few friends who might plant it but they're too cheap to pay that for a coin. lol.........lol........ lol...............though I'm glad you are all laughing with me and not at me ...right......................................................................... aloha

if you all want a treat.......... if you ever get a chance to hunt with JD........ go.....its worth it.......just the scraps from his hunts are worth hundreds..............he's a maestro with the XLT..........and as far as hunting power I hunt hard for 6-7 hours and this guy is right there.

He's living testament to the longer you hunt the more you do find.
www.theadventurelodge.com

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a COPY similar to yours. I also found a "piece of eight" on the beach on the Treasure Coast of Florida. But the back side said Walt Disney World. >:(

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 304
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 308

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would just tell people that "copy" is the last name of the guy that designed the coin. Do you reckon that will work?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
AAAAAWWWWWW MMMMMAAAAAANNNNN!!!!! you got the luck that i have!!! :D better luck next time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread