Some nice 1700 era buttons today

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a hike today, covered about 5 miles total walking and some of it thru the brush, and even more when I lost my digger and had to backtrack and find it! ::)

I hit two homesteads today, the first one appears to have been occupied 1820-1850s period, I have not found a coin at this site yet, but my son found 4 the first day he hunted it. Today, after an hour of swingin there I only got the Toe/Heel protector piece, so I decided to move on and try and find a site that has alluded me, of course I cut straight through the woods looking for it and after about 15 minutes of walking realized I lost my digger, luckily I was fairly certain it was back at the first site I hunted so I had to back track and find it, which I did. Just more exercise for me. :)

I gave up on trying to find our mystery homestead and went to one next to where I found the Daguerreotype photograph last early Spring.

This time I remembered seeing a depression that most likely was the cellarhole of an very early cabin. So when I finally got there (over 45 minute straight no detour walk from my truck) I started getting the nice iron hits. I got all three button within 15 feet of the depression and one is a Tombac, one a beautiful flower with design button, no backmark and one was rather ugly, but it is concave and not sure it if is part of one of the earlier blowhole type buttons, but no blowholes on this piece. So perhaps just an ugly concave button.;)

Don

Attachments

• Homestead1.jpg
    Homestead1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 564
  • ToeProtector.jpg
    ToeProtector.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 541
  • 1700site between trees.jpg
    1700site between trees.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 572
  • button3.jpg
    button3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 560
  • Flowerfreshoutofgroung.jpg
    Flowerfreshoutofgroung.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 553
  • AnimationFlowerDesign.gif
    AnimationFlowerDesign.gif
    334.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Animation1Tombac.gif
    Animation1Tombac.gif
    369 KB · Views: 524
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Really neat what you did there on the pictures, looks like a really nice spot to detect. congratulations on your finds!

Chris

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice finds Don, its amazing whats buried under the ground, just waiting to be found!! Lots of history still to be discovered!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you found your Diggin tool there Don...And found the iron too,Sure did pay off...For now.Great button.....Good Luck!!!!

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
NICE BUTTON. GLAD YOU FOUND YOUR DIGGING TOOL.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Fantastic buttons!!! Congrats. It's already been said above, but I too love the way you presented your before & after of those buttons. Amazing job of bringing them back to life. :icon_king:
As far as losing your digger, I feel your pain. About a month ago I lost my cell phone while detecting. I had the brainy idea of calling my cell phone and listening for the ring, but then realized I had nothing to call it with. Duh. :tongue3: I found it after I retraced my steps though.
Great post,
Doug

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How did you get your buttons so clean :icon_scratch: nice finds

CW

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cwdigger said:
How did you get your buttons so clean :icon_scratch: nice finds

CW

Both buttons were put into hot peroxide for about half hour or so and used wet Q-tips then to remove the loosened dirt. The shine on the buttons was from Blue Ribbon conditioner which will be buffed today to finish the preservation of the button. Tombacs usually require nothing more after cleaning, than a good water soak (preferably I use distilled water) and then thoroughly dry under a desk lamp.

The 3rd button was not only dirty but evidently heavily corroded and peroxide does not touch corrosion per se.

Don

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ,
sounds like a good hunt.
Nice buttons, congrat.

Thanks for all the photos.

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again some nice finds! You are not starting off the year like last year, but you have had some great finds just the same!

I am happy for you that you found your digger. When I dropped something last May, it took me until November to re-find it!

Today is going to be a nice day for detecting, so I hope you are able to get out.

Good luck!
Neil

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
very nice buttons don i'm sure if there some coppers to be found you'll find them there congrats and hh

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Buttons Don,
I always enjoying seeing your experience at work.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Once again some nice finds! You are not starting off the year like last year, but you have had some great finds just the same!

I am happy for you that you found your digger. When I dropped something last May, it took me until November to re-find it!

Today is going to be a nice day for detecting, so I hope you are able to get out.

Good luck!
Neil

Thanks Neil, I did get out today and will be posting later. :wink:

Im still looking for one of my pruning shears I lost a year and half ago, I seem to lose them more than diggers. :)

For those who do not know what a Tombac button is, look at this site, they are always a good indicator of late 1700 era finds.
http://www.chippewanaturecenter.com/Oxbow/tombac buttons.htm

Don

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Nice buttons, like the way you did the peel back :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread