Found this today... SOLVED!!! 1798 sheldon 186 Thanks Don !!!

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Ok I figured out the scanner to take a better scan maybe someone can tweek it now to get the date. Picked up this old copper Im sure the first three numbers are 179 but the third number might be a 8 .the forth number can only be a 0 a 3 8 or a 9.I tryed to scan it ,the only thing coming out is the boston that is stamped in the coin and the bust and hair line ,If anyone can tweek the colors and make it clearer ,Please feel free to post a pic for me .there are bib differences in the value in those dates ,Ag maybe g4 i dont know
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,260
  • penny.JPG
    penny.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,507
Upvote 0

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Re: Found this today... no digging

nice find. :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

can you post the pic again but make it bigger I can't see what it is an when I put it in photoshop to enlarge it it breaks up an still can't make out what it is...thanks

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

Here is a picture taken with camera not scanner ,not much bettermIm almost 99% sure its a 1799 ,but cant tell if its a 99 over 98

Attachments

• 1799.JPG
    1799.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,109

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

tried to tweak it myself but could only make it blurry by blowing it up. Sorry.

Anyway cool find and congrats on it!

Funkman

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

bradgny said:
Here is a picture taken with camera not scanner ,not much bettermIm almost 99% sure its a 1799 ,but cant tell if its a 99 over 98
Does your camera have the Macro (flower icon) feature? that is what you need to you to take close up pics of coins... Still really can't see the coin to blurry... If you can get a better pic an post it someone on here can probly tell if it's a 990ver98

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

Thanks all .Sorry about the low quality pics and scans ,Im still working on a computer from the ice age .windows me .And the camera is one of those throw away vivitar 9.99 jobs .So I guess Im lucky to get the quality I did.
On funnier note I also picked up this coin book .I took a scan of the value of this coin in 1893 .Even back then it had some value.
The book is way cool ,200 pages of coin pics and values

Attachments

• value.JPG
    value.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 2,007
  • book.jpg
    book.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,042

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

bradgny said:
Thanks all .Sorry about the low quality pics and scans ,Im still working on a computer from the ice age .windows me .And the camera is one of those throw away vivitar 9.99 jobs .So I guess Im lucky to get the quality I did.
On funnier note I also picked up this coin book .I took a scan of the value of this coin in 1893 .Even back then it had some value.
The book is way cool ,200 pages of coin pics and values
Do you have a friend or family member that could take a pic an post it for you??? I think it might make banner if you had a good enough pic... a large cent worth 1800.00 to 50,000.00(that's only G-3 TO VF condition prices) have my vote for banner... If you get a good pic I will vote for banner

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

This question probably has been asked ,but would the counterstamp diminish the coin?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
bradgny said:
This question probably has been asked ,but would the counterstamp diminish the coin?
I believe it may add value but not 100% sure

The stamp will need value otherwise the coin has lost value. Sometimes a good stamp might increase the worth of a good coin like an early large cent, but I'd have to guess the majority of the time it hurts it. Talking dug low grade coins I think the chances of the stamp being better increases quite a bit.

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Re: Found this today... no digging 1799 ? large cent New pics Help!!!

new pick added but to big i think

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can see the first digit in the date, but the second digit is curved. I am 99% certain you have an 18?? Draped Bust there.

-Buckles

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

The first two numbers are 100% a 1 and a 7 the third is a 9 its the 4th number that gets me .its an 8or a 9 over 8

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

I can't help with any date ID, but regardless that is one cool find!

Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fabulous find, love the counterstamp. Would have to agree with Buckles, though, from the large photo the second digit looks like an "8".

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find on the counterstamp, positive ID not possible with current photos, also, if there is any detail on the Reverse, than please show a photo of the reverse, which if certain details are showing, the year could also be determined or eliminated by what is seen on the reverse.
Odds are against it being a 1799, I can not say one way or the other what the date is, I have "seen" several possibilities but cannot say for sure.

Don

Added an enhanced Black & White copy of your photo. I see a possible last number and it is not a 9, if that is a number I see. :-\
But, that Boston counterstamp sure is Cool!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• bradguyLarge Cent.jpg
    bradguyLarge Cent.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,156

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

I've found lots of Draped Bust Largies over the years but never a confirmed counterstamped one. I found a counterstamped large cent last year which I think is a Draped bust but not sure. If I were you I would be overjoyed that this one is counterstamped. If you ask me it adds to the history of the coin significantly. Congratulations.
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread