Beautiful Barber Half. Other goodies you gotta see.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone, Was a great day today in my book with another Barber half to add to the collection. I picked my brother up today to go hunting. We stopped at this one site were a old tunnel was built in 1902 . There was a abandoned road with a nice creek. I was told back in the day there was people who lived back in this area. We had minimal luck because of the trash and growth.

We left to go to my trusty park that always got something old to give. Well for about a year we had our eye's on a spot on the out skirt of a huge cemetery. There was a long 75 by 20 yard strip with a huge old wall that bordered the grass. Today was the day to hit it. We were driving by and I just finally puled over to hit it. I noticed graves in the woods above the area we were hunting. They were no longer being taken care of anymore.

My brother started by finding a wheat right away. I found a nice old marble on the surface. We felt good about the chances of finding some good stuff. Well it was slow a wheat here and there. Well finally I got a nice solid signal at the edge of a bush line were I suspect past hunters just missed it. Well I dug down and out popped this beautiful Barber half in e.f condition I would say. It is a 1904 and list in the 05 redbook at 140.00. It's just looks like it came out of the mint. The scan doesn't even do it justice. I then followed with a 35 merc. My brother found about 5 wheat's and a old civil war token comemerating some guy named franklin Peirce. The 14th president.

We had a good day. This spot needs another hit after a good rain. We got a private yard to do tomorrow so hopefully it holds something. If not that barber half made my week.

Thanks for looking

Jeremy

Attachments

• Beautiful Barber.jpg
    Beautiful Barber.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 663
  • Beautiful Barber Back 001.jpg
    Beautiful Barber Back 001.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 660
  • Merc edited.JPG
    Merc edited.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 679
  • today\'s relics edited.JPG
    today\'s relics edited.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That half is in beautiful condition. Last Tues. I was driving in Spfld. Mo. and noticed a const site in an older part of town. A soon to be parking lot. I found a couple of wheats and a 1952 dog tag, then out came a 1943 walking liberty half. Well unfortunetly the area was dozed and lost by the next day. I will post a pic soon.

M

mattjd

Real nice stuff Jer! I have that same exact star that I found at a cemetary. Anyways, it sounds like that was a really fun hunt.
That knife is cool too!

HH Matt

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds

Kermit

D

Deadshot

Great Finds. Do you have any info on the star? GAR stands for Grand Army of the Republic I believe.

Deadshot

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent relic hunt and congrats on that nice Half! HH, Mike

Z

ZumbroKid

Sorry to hear the GAR item is a grave marker. I thought myself due to size in the photo it was a pin of some sort.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Awesome finds!! That coin is in so great condition! Is that a letter opner or knife in that pic? See you also found some random pieces of capguns and stuff, neat :)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Jer, congrats on some great finds. That half dollar is a real beaut. The stars were put onto graves of Civil War Veterans by the GAR after the war as each vet passed away. Some were attached to the stones and some were put in front of the graves as the one shown. Congrats again....Lance

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some incredible finds, especially that barber half!!!! :)

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the info everyone. I learned more than what I knew about grave markers. The knife thing I found was crazy. It had black tape of some sort wrapped around it for a handle. Hope no bodies are on it. Found it in a semi bad area. It is awesome to dig a coin in these types of conditions. The guys that hunted my area before me got to be retired by now with all the finds they made. I'm just getting the bits they left behind. This spot could be untouched but I doubt it. They just missed that half at the edge of a bush line. They never got there coil up under it. I know all the tricks by now.

It's just good to know that these types of finds do exist still. I have found 2 barber halfs at grave yard sites in the last 3 yrs. Must have been the thing. Load your money up go see the deceised and have the day planned until you dig in your pocket to find out you lost a days pay. Must have been hard.

HH Jeremy

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
That has got to be the best looking Barber Half I have ever saw coming out of the ground. Mine are usually worn down pretty good when I find them. WTG--Keep after that site; it seems to be producing for you.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That coins is a beauty, Jer.? :) I just want to find any type of barber.? Still looking!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone. A good spot to find barber dimes is your oldest park around. Go to the woods and trails section of the place. Hunt every peice of land. Look for old broken glass and worn down area's. As soon as you figure out it's there then it's all fun from there. It does take some time and effort to find these spots. But they are there and are almost always untouched or not hit hard. With the right detector you could find them.

Park will need to date 1900 or earlier. Give or take a few years either way. It needs to be considerable in size also. It also helps to see what kind of neighborhood? is around it. You can tell if you are in a old wealthy spot or not. I have found alot of barber coins in park woods.

I couldn't beleive the condition of this coin either. I have found some nice one's but this one would be the best. It has a full liberty but the scanner doesn't get it that close.

Hope these tips help. Here in the northeast there tried and proven to me.

HH Jeremy?

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Im no expert but that knife looks kinda like an older throwing knife, great find if it is :o maybe some of the knife experts here know ???

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Your right Jake. I didn't even think of that. It is flat and looks like it would be thrown at something now that I think of it. Looks old also because it turned that red in color. Maybe I should clean it up some more. I'll post a better pic later.

Thanks man Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions