found a silver ingot this morning!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i started out this morning to go to the park where ive been finding all the old mercs,but when i got there,my plugs from 3 weeks ago have all died and turned brown (no rain).so rather than dig more plugs and screw up the grass even more, i went to my plan b spot. an elementery school i attended as a kid. i had a really good day hunting the ballfield. i found this really small silver bar marked 999+ fine 1 troy oz. there is a symbol on it that looks like the state of nevada with ncn stamped in it. and on the back the letters D S are stamped in it.anyone ever find one of these and if so, what is it worth? and also what do the symbol and the letters stand for? i had a good clad haul as well!;
1-1955 WHEAT CENT
16-WASHINGTON QUARTERS
19- ROOSEVELT DIMES
5-JEFFERSON NICKELS
6- MEMORIAL CENTS

one other question about those brown plugs. after 3 weeks i really thought that they would have recovered.when we get a good rain will they turn green again or are they permanently dead at this point?i really dont want to be asked to leave this spot for screwing up the grass since its been such a good honey hole. is there some technique or something i could have done while making the plugs that would have prevented them from dying?well......sorry for the long post and the absence of photos (still no scanner or camera). thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

In dry conditions grass tends to go domant, with rain it will spring back fine. It just looks bad and most do not understand.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds,

Kermit

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds H/P

HH

Lonewolfe

shiva

Greenie
Aug 24, 2005
I believe 1 troy ounce of silver @ 99.9% purity is worth roughly 6-8 dollars US currently.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thanks for the price on the troy oz of silver shiva! i guess im not gonna be able to retire on that find! LOL. still was a really wierd thing to find! id never seen one before!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Nice going Hollow, great finds. I was reading about someone who detected where the gound was really dry and to help prevent the brown spots, took a container of water with them, and put a little water on the plug when it was put back in. The said that it helped. Just a thought...Lance

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Silver is always great !

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all the grass is turning brown there is not much you can do. Try cutting away the grass as a flap instead of round plug. Try to fold it back whole with as much root attached as you can. This will help but if is is real dry just about any thing you do will not help. I have been waiting for rain to go do a school yard. I know it is dry so I am waiting so I don't ruin the spot.

Ed Donovan

strobeone

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Spot silver is 7.27 this morning and you can add about a dollar or so to it. So figure 8.50 - 10.00 depending on who wants it. Nice find though.

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Cool find hollowpoint 8)

I've been waiting myself to go to a couple of spots for the same reason.......We're almost 11" in the hole for rain this year. Was hoping to get some of the left overs from Rita but only ended up getting a small shower that might have lasted 15 minutes :'(

F

Floater

Nice day for you Hollowpointred. I would just brnig a little water with me and when I am done just put a little on each plug. Cant hurt and if the powers that be see you tryin then all is good. Also Eds trick is the other way too but like he said it will still turn if no rain. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread