MI ghost town finds

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
These are actually from earlier this year.I was in northern Mi and hit a well known "ghost" logging town called Michelson.90% of the town is now under swampy water but a couple of foundations can still be found...if you look real hard.This area has been hunted heavy over the years but ya know theres always somethin left.

I found several wheaties(not pictured), a 1916s barber dime , a 1913 King George dime , two aluminum thimbles that are scripted "Buy I.H. Flour", and a lead turtle scripted" Cadillac Casket Company, Detroit MI".

Didnt get a chance to post them B-4 so I thought Id share them now. >>>H.H....JO

Attachments

• LastScan.jpg
    LastScan.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JO!

Those are some great finds!! Thanks for sharing!!

;)

F

Floater

Great finds Jopher. Looks like you found the undertakers house. ;D HH

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost town hunting is on my to do list, very cool stuff !

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds,
Not many Ghost towns in Ky. We have coal camps. But I guess they have ghost too.....

Kermit

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Kermit said:
Nice finds,
? ?Not many Ghost towns in Ky.? We have coal camps.? But I guess they have ghost too.....

Kermit
? ?
Most Ghost towns in Michigan were actually lumbering towns complete with homes , taverns, hotels , etc..? After the trees were harvested, the lumbermen moved on , the economy failed and the town was deserted.There are probably a couple hundred throughout Michigan.There is a three volume set of books that details many of these towns.I believe it is called Ghost Towns of Michigan.........Some of the towns are mining towns as well....mostly in the U.P.......dont know how well one might fair MDing around an iron mine??

...Havent run into any ghosts yet but if I do hes gonna get drilled on where the treasure is!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for posting these, Jopher. I really like the turtle.....alot! The dime must be from "Canadia", eh? ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff Jopher,

a little less info on the history of MI would be nice though,

we don't want all those southern & eastern or western boys coming over here, and detecting all of our nicely kept secrete ghost towns- now do we!? The competition is bad enough already! ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
lonewolfe said:
Cool stuff Jopher,

a little less info on the history of MI would be nice though,

we don't want all those southern & eastern or western boys coming over here, and detecting all of our nicely kept secrete ghost towns- now do we!? The competition is bad enough already! ;D

HH
Sorry Lonewolfe,Im tryin to make myself feel better about going out to the east coast to steal some of thier 18th century booty...LOL....wink. H.H.....JO
Lonewolfe

F

Floater

Now Now . You boys are welcome down here anytime and I promise to take ya to the best spots I know. ( Usually a bar Err, Sand Bar or two. ) :D

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Those are some great relic and coin finds jopher.
I have the same logging history here in northern Wisconsin.
The old logging camps can be very good sites to hunt also.
The great pine forests are gone but their legacy remains.
Best of luck to you on hunting those ghosts.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Floater said:
Now Now . You boys are welcome down here anytime and I promise to take ya to the best spots I? know. ( Usually a bar Err,? Sand Bar or two. )? :D
Floater...Id love to take ya up on either or both...individually or simultaniously..LOL...course I havent seen you post any finds lately with all the tech work youve been doing.(all exceptionaly interesting...DR.Floater).
?Seriously though,Lonewolfe is right.This reminded me of the time I took a good pal to my secret brook trout stream.He then took this guy he knew named FRED TROST who filmed the trip and showed it on his weekly PBS sporting show.It was all done with good intent but now niether myself nor anyone else will ever take another brookie from that stream.Kinda sucks....guess some things are best left under the hat....JO

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jopher said:
Floater said:
Now Now . You boys are welcome down here anytime and I promise to take ya to the best spots I? know. ( Usually a bar Err,? Sand Bar or two. )? :D
Floater...Id love to take ya up on either or both...individually or simultaniously..LOL...course I havent seen you post any finds lately with all the tech work youve been doing.(all exceptionaly interesting...DR.Floater).
?Seriously though,Lonewolfe is right.This reminded me of the time I took a good pal to my secret brook trout stream.He then took this guy he knew named FRED TROST who filmed the trip and showed it on his weekly PBS sporting show.It was all done with good intent but now niether myself nor anyone else will ever take another brookie from that stream.Kinda sucks....guess some things are best left under the hat....JO

Fred took one of YOUR spots, and filmed it!?

What was the episode called? I may have seen it! ;D

I've seen him in/near a few of my fishing spots in the past (northern MI mostly)...

I like the episode where he was in a river/creek finding those pincher water bugs that are buried in the muck used for trout fishing, and a BIG one pinched his finger causing it to bleed, and he was yelping like a little girl!! ;D

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
lonewolfe said:
jopher said:
Floater said:
Couldnt tell you the name of the episode, Lonewolfe.He was guided to this great brook trout spot in Rosco.Co. by Jeff from Redmans bait and tackle in Higgins Lk.....and yes, I saw him narrowly escape death when his bait attacked him.It has always been my Thursday night gig to watch sporting shows...I guess Ill miss Fred a little now that he has retired.

Fred took one of YOUR spots, and filmed it!?

What was the episode called? I may have seen it! ;D

I've seen him in/near a few of my fishing spots in the past (northern MI mostly)...

I like the episode where he was in a river/creek finding those pincher water bugs that are buried in the muck used for trout fishing, and a BIG one pinched his finger causing it to bleed, and he was yelping like a little girl!! ;D

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds. wish i had some ghost towns in my area to check out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions