Awesome Civil War Relics Today !! Original Post for Rare 3rd Dragoons Star

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Some of you probably noticed my new post entitled Very Rare 3rd Dragoons Star has been moved to Best Finds. I have also been notified that because it took me 9 months to identify the item that it is no longer eligible for the banner no matter how many votes it gets. This does not make sense to me or do I agree with this decision, however I would like to thank those of you who voted this find for banner it means the world to me.

My buddies from Canada-- Arthur and Donny, my brother Kirk and myself went out today and done pretty good. Luckily Donny took some video of us digging some good finds. We started out a bit slow digging a bullet here and there and then Donny got the knapsack hook it took 2 short videos to get it. Then I dug the little star with 3D in the center of it, we also have two short videos of it. I don't know what it is but I do know it is one of the coolest relics I personally have ever found. If anyone has a clue what the star is please let me know. Arthur found a cool little cuff size button with a D on it, we don't know if this is civil war related or not. Please enjoy our goofyness on these videos. We hated the hunt ended to soon, as you can see it started getting dark on us.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_1446.JPG
    IMG_1446.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,243
Upvote 0
K

KirkTN

Re: Awesome Civil War Relics Today !! With VIDEO

That was a fun time! The 3D Star still has me searching. Could be 3D Tennessee. I've found reference with that wording but no picutre of the star. Hopefully some of the tnet master researchers can educate us on this one. My gut feeling, is the star is a rare CW find. :icon_scratch: :icon_study:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice relics. I enjoyed the videos.
Dman

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Where are the Long John Silver's relics?! ;D

Nice haul guys, sounds like a good time was had.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MMMMMMMM I'm going to wait :icon_scratch:and look at coming posts :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study: I am interested in that
STAR too......for sure, it is the STAR of your finds. Keep going, and keep hunting, and keep videoing.......those were great. :thumbsup:

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

love the finds! will check out the videos later since I am at work.

Congrats!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds, guys :thumbsup: Hope you get that 3D star identified, looks like something rare. Enjoyed the videos too...great job!

:wink: RR

S

seger98

Very nice finds, that 3D is really cool!

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse

I love the video makes me wont to go detecting

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Is it just me or does it look like the 3D star is upside down? It looks like a lapel or hat pin but why would it be pointed that way? A misprint maybe? I don't remember ever seeing anything like this on any civil war relic site or book. Definately a good whatsit, I can't wait 'til it gets IDed. Nice post, HH Charlie

K

KirkTN

Andie, I thought you'd know or find something on the id. Did you by chance find a picture? by the way John did find it! :o

Andie Rigney said:
IT'S A 3RD Division I.D. PIN. AND I PRAY UR THE ONE WHO FOUND IT!

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wtg on finds!!.. whats the 3d worth??....looking forward to more finds here..gregg

K

KirkTN

I found this letter that puts Texas Rangers with John Morgan. I wonder if they could have been riding with him when he was here in Smith County :icon_scratch: :icon_study:

Colonel Morgan's official report, written immediately after the battle to Major General Edmund Kirby Smith, reads as follows:

Confederate Colonel John Hunt Morgan Reports of Col. John H. Morgan, Second Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate) commanding expedition. BRIGADE HEADQUARTERS, Tompkinsville, Ky., July 9, 1862. SIR: I have the honor to report that I arrived with my command at the Cumberland River and passed the ford at about 2pm yesterday, 8th instant. My forces consisted of Colonel Hunt's Georgia regiment cavalry, my own regiment, and a squadron of Texas Rangers; we were joined at the river by two companies under Captains Hamilton and McMillin. I received information that the enemy had passed the Cumberland River at Celina the day of my arrival with about 180 men, but did not deem it right to attack that force, as I was aware that a considerable body of cavalry, about 380 or 400 strong, were stationed at this town, and I thought by rapid night march I might succeed in surprising them. I left the river at 10pm on the 8th instant, and at 5am this day I surprised the enemy, and having surrounded them, threw four shells into their camp, and then carried it by a dashing charge. The enemy fled, leaving about 22 dead and 30 to 40 wounded in our hands. We have 30 prisoners and my Texas squadron are still in pursuit of the fugitives. Among the prisoners is Major Jordan, their commander, and two lieutenants. The tents, stores, and camp equipage I have destroyed, but a valuable baggage train, consisting of some 20 wagons and 50 mules is in my possession; also some 40 cavalry horses, and supplies of sugar, coffee, etc. I did not lose a single man in killed, but have to regret that Colonel Hunt, while leading a brilliant charge, received a severe wound in the leg, which prevents his going on with the command. I also had three members of the Texas squadron wounded, but not seriously. Very respectfully, JOHN H. MORGAN, Colonel, Commanding.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea, ya done good....we all want one of them stars. I guess you are a star for the find...keep up the good work.

K

KirkTN

It is confusing and disheartening that a marvelous find such as this which is not only very old, but Rare and Valuable should be deemed ineligible for a slot on a Banner entitled "Recent Discoveries By Our Members!" This little piece of American history was not only recently uncovered in the big scheme of things but is a tiny treasure to which the true identity hath just been discovered.

Recent Discoveries

Main Entry: reā€¢cent
Pronunciation: \Ėˆrē-sənt\
Function: adjective
1 a : having lately come into existence : new, fresh b : of or relating to a time not long past.
Main Entry: disā€¢covā€¢ery
Pronunciation: \dis-Ėˆkə-v(ə-)rē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural disā€¢covā€¢erā€¢ies

1 : That which is discovered; a thing found out, or for the first time ascertained or recognized.

I have never seen a find gather Banner nominations any faster. There were 10 known nominations by some of Tnets most recognized members in the short time before the post was moved and deemed ineligible for the banner.

Maybe we are to blame for our own disappointments, maybe we shouldn't place our hopes upon such passing goals, Maybe we shouldn't desire the approval of our peers, maybe we shouldn't spend all those hours upon hours researching finds such as this rare little 3rd Dragoon Star only to discover we have once again fallen short in the eyes of those we expect to be honest fair and just. Maybe we expect too much of others, Maybe we shouldn't speak our hearts and minds, Yea, maybe, just maybe, but we do.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....John .....submit it to Western and Eastern Treasure Magazine......and then it will be even HOTTER.......WILL ALWAYS BE BANNER TO ME........Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......DO NOT BE DISAPPOINTED THAT IT IS INELGIBLE FOR BANNER........It is a great find .........you do not need the approval of your PEERS...........................All that you need ......is right in your hand......................THIS IS DEFINITELY ONE OF THOSE LIFETIME FINDS.........do not sell ...items like this usually double or thriple their value in just a few years........Can you imagine what this Badge could say .....if it could talk.......all the battles that it went thru......the long trip from Texas just to get lost in a Confederate Camp in Tennessee(?).....Did the Texas Ranger wish that he had a metal detector to find his lost keepsake??........LOL......I assume that this Texas Ranger spent some time in trying to retrieve this item!!??.......Now you just need to find some Texas Confederate Buttons...........Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread