Back to Basics, again

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I took my Classic III out again yesterday morning and left the ID machines at home. Tried a bit in an area that we have really cleaned up just to see if we missed an Indian. Left there and went to another park and hit an area that Dave and I have worked. My 5th swing got a 1950 Quarter at about 4 inches standing on edge. Got several older memorial pennies, then got 3 wheaties in a row. They were 41,44, and 45. I love doing this from time to time just to get my head right so that I stop worrying so much about the VDI numbers on the screen. I think I will use the Classic the next few times that I go. It is every bit as deep as ID machines, and you have one less thing to stop you from digging (the screen). It works and I will never get rid of the Classic III even though I have a DFX and MXT. I just don't always have the discipline that JerDFX has :D
He always digs everything apparently and does extremely well!
Rich

Upvote 0
F

Floater

That's a great post Rich and I agree about the screen. I listen to the tone and dig it all. ( I just haven't got my butt out to hunt in a while) . Of course haveing an Excal doesnt leave me much choice I do use my bounty hunter once in a while and the only thing the screen does for me there is to slow me down. I look at it and think about it instead of just listening to the tones and digging. Anyway great finds and it does prove the point to dig it all. HH

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
That is a very good strategy. Everyone says dig all targets. I know I do not, and the VDI contributes to my laziness. As a result, I am sure I've missed plenty. Always good to get back to the basics...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great post Richard. Very good idea. I know I find myself getting lazy at times. I turn the icons off on the dfx. I just go by sound and v.d.i. I dig almost everything even though the machine is very accurate. It's not 100 % and you really have no idea what a foreign coin or small artifact will read. Large foreign coppers come in the 50's. I have learned so much by making alot of finds that I know it pretty well. But all my spots are old and hit alot of times so I go with the dig everything method.

Sounds like you had a good run. Keep up the good work. You got alot of nice machines in your arsenal to do the job.

HH Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread