A site from the past gives up........First finds of the year!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the snow finally gone, detecting on Sunday was just what this cabin fevered, metal detecting hobbyist needed. It has been a long winter here in the northeast. Since the beginning of December the snow has just been falling on a regular basis……it seemed like every other day and in some cases extreme cold temps, blowing snow, bone chilling wind chills and the worst is the dreaded FROZEN GROUND. But out of know where last week we had a meltdown………Temps in the mid-50’s and low 60’s was the ticket. So Sunday morning the decision to go out digging was a no brainier. While eating breakfast I decided to go somewhere close, the reason being I would not know what to expect if I decided to go down to the southern tier, driving all that way and finding out that there is still snow cover on the ground…… That would not be good!
Now with my plan to stay close to home I decided to go to a place that I detected around 8 years ago or so. When I bought my whites XLT, my son and I found this site that looked to be an old park or grove. The property is mostly all wooded with large trees and tall pines, excellent for detecting.
When first detecting this site years ago I found some wheat pennies………Yes, I know! Why did I wait 8 years to go back? Now that I think about it, I must have got caught up at some other site and just never went back. So after all that, this is the site I went to on Sunday……….It turned out to be a good one for the first time out this season…….as I arrived I noticed only a minimal amount of snow less than 10 % on the ground so I had plenty of area to swing that coil, first thing I found was what looked to be part of a tag of some type. A short time later I get a great hit, down around 4 inches is a beautiful 1936 Mercury Dime. Great way to start the day with the first silver of the year, now with the day beginning to look pretty good another signal and out pops a wheat back penny 1911, moments later another then another 1920,1921. Not in the best of shape! With the sun getting hot, I took off my jacket and just kept on going. After around an hour and a few other items and a some old harmonica pieces, I get yet another great hit at a few inches ……moments later an Indian head penny 1896 this one was found near what looked to be an old apple orchard, there are a number of old trees mixed in with the surrounding woods and brush. This is the area I stayed and in the next hour I found 2 more Indians 1906 and an 1886 but that one was in rough shape

PC190022 Medium Web view.jpg

…..also a 1925 Buffalo nickel.

PC190020 Medium Web view.jpg

Now with a number of nice coins and relics I was thinking that it is almost time to call it quits for the day. So as I circled around and made my way towards the back of the apple trees, I got another hit which was different but consistent…digging down 4 to 5 inches I see something in the hole that looked like a small watch, it turned out to be a locket ……. When I got it out of the ground…it just fell apart! Bummer……….

PC190015 Medium Web view.jpg

I started to detect and make my way back to the path down the hill, but only 4 or so feet from the locket, I get a high pitch hit and it hit good. Digging down once again 4 to 5 inches out comes a silver coin, now you know what I’m thinking! Seated coin or better yet bust coin. But lets not get greedy! It was a Barber dime……

PC190021 Medium Web view.jpg

PC190024 Large Web view.jpg

Now very happy and excited that this site is turning out to be something special, I can’t wait to go back in the coming weeks as long as the weather stays like it is no snow and the low 30 temps will never be a problem……….and yes! Believe me I will not wait 8 more years to back to this site the next time!!! Keep on Digging!!! John

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, glad there was a break in the weather enough to get out and find some goodies. Looks like some mighty nice finds too, bet there's more left just waiting for you. Hang in there, Spring is just around the corner.

:wink: RR

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Great assortment of coins. Looks like that site is worth a few more looks again. :thumbsup:

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Nice dig.... Can'twait until I can get out. The temp's in Minnesota have still been in the 20's and our thaw was 38 for only three days. Just enough to get rid of some snow. in the shady area's their is still 4"-6" but soon I hope.

Maybe I'll get my first ever silver. I got my Indians about 3 weeks ago.

Take a look at my Indian's I have found..[youtube=425,350]LTIVUo0cLvk[/youtube]

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey John. I know why you get greedy.... because it's justified. ;D I also know how a place just seems to get forgotten. There are always so many places to choose from. Anyway, you made a good choice. Last year I didn't find as many IH's so I still appreiciate them. :icon_sunny: And barbers are not easy either. :thumbsup:

Bob

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
looks like everything is from about the turn of the past century.........congrats on the cool finds...Keep swinging HH :icon_sunny:

db

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Happy to see you are out and about after all that snow. Sorry to hear about that plane crash near your house also...
I am trying to figure out the tag in your pics...I can see letters on it....
Very nice job on the rest of your finds!

Attachments

• johns 1.JPG
    johns 1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 488

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Gypsy Heart said:
Happy to see you are out and about after all that snow. Sorry to hear about that plane crash near your house also...
I am trying to figure out the tag in your pics...I can see letters on it....
Very nice job on the rest of your finds!

maybe an old golf club tag, the piece kinda looks like one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread