Another 2 Plate day, 2nd one in a week!!!! More Pictures Added

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
I couldn't sleep last night thinking about getting back into the camp that I found last week!!! They were calling for the bad weather to start "early morning". So, in order to get ahead of it, I was "diggin" at 0600 hrs. (yes, before daylight), I used my flashlight for the first couple of holes. Then as it started to get light, the snow started, and boy did it snow, before I knew it there was about 2" on the ground. I really didn't mind it, it made it easier to see where I had hunted as I was working a "grid" pattern in the area where I found one of the Eagle Breast Plates last week. By 0800 hours I had about 10 bullets, some knapsack parts, a button or two, and then..........................a U.S. Box Plate!!!
I kept diggin thru the snow, then it turned to sleet, and then to rain as the temperature warmed up. Once the rain stopped, the wind started!!!
I wanted to stop for lunch but had set a goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat!!!! I kept digging!!! Finally around 2pm, I hit bullet number 50, a Williams cleaner, and headed for the truck.
Just after lunch I decided to go back and grid the other direction from where I found the Eagle last week. Within a short time, I hit another signal that I KNEW was another plate, and it was!!!! Another U.S. Box Plate!!!! TWO in one day!!!!
I ended up with 5 eagle buttons, one New York button, some knapsack parts, some interesting bullets (60 total), 3 scabbord tips (2 with leather still in them), a pocket knife, a whatzit -UPDATE - Its part of a door handle/lock, a small shoe buckle, a spencer carbine cartridge, and of course the 2 box plates!!!!
I can say that I really think my arm fell off today. Swinging the Whites 12" coil from 0600 until 1830 hours today!!!! With about a 25 minute lunch break!!!!

Updated, changed title, and added LOTS more pictures.

Enjoy!!!!

feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
All Finds for February 18th 2009​

Feb 17 2009.JPG
Both of the US boxplates​

Feb 18 2009 2 plates.JPG
A Carved Bullet​

Feb 18 2009 Carved Bullet.JPG
Mystery Solved - It's part of a door handle/lock​

Feb 18 2009 Nipple Tool 2.JPG
An odd bullet, note the "pin" in the center.​

Feb 18 2009 odd bullet.JPG
One of the Star Based Bullets​

Feb 18 2009 Star Base Bullet.JPG
Lunch time!!! I had finally reached my goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat.​
Thats a NICE steak and some macaroni and tomatoes - my Grandmothers got me hooked on this!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Lunch.JPG
Some Scabbord Tips (2 still had the leather in them)​

Scabbord Tips with Leather.JPG
A dirty bag, from playing in the mud!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Dirty Bag.JPG
The 4 plates that came from the same camp!!!​

Feb 2009 4 Plates.JPG
Another shot of the plates, eagle buttons, and New York button​

Feb 18 2009 Plates and Buttons.JPG
ALL finds from day 1 at the camp.​

Attachments

• feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,157
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Snow/Sleet/Rain/Wind couldn't keep me out of the camp today!!!

Montana Jim said:
holy crap!!!!! :o

That's the exact thing I first thought !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good Grief David, that was a honey hole for sure. WTG Bud. A blizzard would not keep me out of there. That's a dream day!!!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

WOW! WOW! Awesome finds Congrats on the Box plates. :wav: :blob5: :blob3: :blob8: :blob8: :headbang: :hello2:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dang, nothing would keep me out either. Hopefully some day I can hook up with some one in your parts and drive out from Missouri to hunt..I do a little here but want to do the real stuff.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

I don't know what to say about a day like that.That is probably one of the best days MD that I have ever
seen.If I ever set a goal of 50 bullets in one day I would never get home.
So I think CONGRAT is in order. :thumbsup:

Get some sleep and rest and hit that place again.

fortbball9

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang David, you would make a Great Ohio hunter. Awwwww never mind I'm coming to Va. in March,
can I rub your detector for Luck.

Fantastic Day, Thanks for the Post.

HH, Ringfinder

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Simply spectacular :thumbsup: Dream day for sure...well done. I'm certain you don't mind some pain in your arm for those types of finds :wink:

HH!
TBGO

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

dcooper1 what is the piece on the left end of the knife. The little round one with the little piece sticking out from either side. I found one like it, and don't know what it came off of. Mine has a square hole through it. Man you really hit the jackpot. I've enjoyed looking at the finds. Congradulations.

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
After getting a little bit of sleep I was able to add some more pictures this morning.
Thanks for all of the great replies.
Another AWESOME hunt for me, a BANNER day!!!! One that I will never forget!!!

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know what to say. :icon_scratch: I read your other post with the breast plates, and it was amazing....this.....well this is incredible...Congratulations man...you've done your homework and it is paying off for you.....Truly incredible! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Whoa I would eat, sleep and &@&( there. I keep hoping that for one day in my life I will be able to find a spot like that. Savor every second of it. You got my vote for banner :icon_cheers:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
That's about as good as it gets when it comes to CW relics! :o :o

What an awesome day!! Great site you have there!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used

Old River said:
dcooper1 what is the piece on the left end of the knife. The little round one with the little piece sticking out from either side. I found one like it, and don't know what it came off of. Mine has a square hole through it. Man you really hit the jackpot. I've enjoyed looking at the finds. Congradulations.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it must have been some type of nipple wrench, just guessing because of the square hole in it about the size of a nipple. One side of the "handle" appears to be broken off.
Hopefully someone else will be able to i.d. it for us.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, you know how to hunt AND eat!

That bullet with the little stub inside is a Williams cleaner with the plug broken off, isn't it?

DCMatt

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
Great job, you are persistant and you do your home work, and it's all paying off for you. I have learned a lot about this hobby from just talking to you. I think your finds should go on the BANNER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread