Silver , Gold Ring and saved a young childs life! (UP DATED FOR MUD (S.W.A.T)

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Silver , Gold Ring and saved a young child's life! (UP DATED FOR MUD (S.W.A.T)

Stopped at one of our old, heavily pounded parks. Started out not finding a whole lot, but then on the side of a hill with a slight incline, I got a clad quarter reading at 5"/6". I flopped back the sod and still got the reading in the hole. Dug down a few more inches and saw a ring at the bottom of the hole. I excitedly pushed the dirt from the center of the ring and saw the 14K, that made my day. It is a little confusing though, because along with the 14K, there is a 925 stamped in the ring? Soon after I found the 1960D silver Roosevelt,New York fare token, 45 cal slug a dice earring piece at 7", several wheat's, screw driver and about 2$ in clad. Now, towards the end of the hunt, there was a group of children gathered around me watching me. After a while, I decided to cross the busy road that runs through the park. The children stayed on the other side except for one, a small 4 year old,(or so). I did not notice him following me to the other side of the road. As I stepped up on the curb, I saw him, just as his brothers and sisters called for him to come back and his mom ran out of her house about a block away yelling. He tried to immediately run back to the other side, but I saw 3 or 4 cars coming fast around the curve towards us, so I pulled him back up on the curb, out of the street and away from the on coming cars. At the speed of the vehicles and the angle of the curve, he probably would have been hit. I held him there until all the traffic was gone, then told him to hurry back to the other side. At that time, I saw his mom and dad standing in there yard. the group of children and little boy ran back to their yard and everyone went into the house. Well anyway, thanks for looking. :icon_sunny: HH!!

php3XmdXBPM.jpg

Attachments

• phpHfB9E9PM.jpg
    phpHfB9E9PM.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,362
  • phpuzhMW8PM.jpg
    phpuzhMW8PM.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,365
  • phpBD6GMfPM.jpg
    phpBD6GMfPM.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,375
  • phppAerogPM.jpg
    phppAerogPM.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,379
  • phpu05XBZPM.jpg
    phpu05XBZPM.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,395
  • php7Vo3hOPM.jpg
    php7Vo3hOPM.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,417
  • phpCwWygEPM.jpg
    phpCwWygEPM.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • phpF0RgQ4PM.jpg
    phpF0RgQ4PM.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,421
Upvote 0

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Re: Silver , Gold Ring and saved a young child's life!

Real nice thing you did here. No thanks from the parents?
Your photos are outstanding. :icon_sunny: What camera?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My dad used to have one of those... there's supposed to be a hammer that fits the end of the largest screwdriver.

Bran <><

Attachments

• 601c_med.jpg
    601c_med.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,306
OP
OP
history hunter

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Kiwijohn said:
Real nice thing you did here. No thanks from the parents?
Your photos are outstanding. :icon_sunny: What camera?

Kiwijohn, no they didn't say a thing,wave or anything, but it don't matter, the little boy is safe! The camera is a Kodak easy share C653 6.1 mega pixels, paid for with some of my clad coins I found. Thanks for your interest! Hope you find an unexpected and exciting treasure your next time out. HH!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

yep 14 k gold electro plating over sterling silver * --- thank goodness they didn't think you were a child snatcher by mistake or the kid try to flee from you in fear into the traffic -- glad everything came out ok --

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Great hunt and good call on the kid!

OP
OP
history hunter

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used

ivan salis said:
yep 14 k gold electro plating over sterling silver * --- thank goodness they didn't think you were a child snatcher by mistake or the kid try to flee from you in fear into the traffic -- glad everything came out ok --

There does not seem to be any plating on the ring. Usually it has" HG" or "GF" after the 14K if it is gold plating. I did nick it a little on the bottom of the ring and there is no sign of plating there ether. My be the 925 is the purity of the gold used, strange.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

history hunter said:
ivan salis said:

There does not seem to be any plating on the ring. Usually it has" HG" or "GF" after the 14K if it is gold plating. I did nick it a little on the bottom of the ring and there is no sign of plating there ether. My be the 925 is the purity of the gold used, strange.

Gold plating often comes off, normally leaving patches in the low relief areas. Can you see any? I'm not familar with this mark but 925 is always silver.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

wtg on the the ring and silver and even bigger gg for saving the young mans life. sadly little kids get so fascinated in what they are tuned to that they dont pay attention to other things around them, It drives bobbie and I nuts when we see very small children out by themselves without adult supervision. It can only take a split second and a tragedy can occur
hh
dave+bobbie

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds :thumbsup:

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder

The ring has a 14k electroplate over the sterling. Still worth a couple bucks in silver though!

Steve from Iowa

Greenie
Feb 22, 2009
Fairfield, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega, Minelab Excalibur II, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is your Teknetics 8000 the Omega model? If so, how do you like it and how well does it work?

OP
OP
history hunter

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used

Steve from Iowa said:
Is your Teknetics 8000 the Omega model? If so, how do you like it and how well does it work?

Steve, it is not an omega model, just an older 8000 with a meter, not digital. It works great, I have even found small pieces of metal, like pop rivets down 8"/9" or more. I often wonder how the newer machines compare. I am saving up for a se explorer,(or better machine when I finally save the money), now, because my machine is getting so old now but I will always use it for a spare.
Thank you for your interest!

Steve from Iowa

Greenie
Feb 22, 2009
Fairfield, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega, Minelab Excalibur II, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

great finds and a good deed as well. Sounds like an awesome day!

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

Nice job on saving the kid. I'll offer you thanks for that!

Not so sure about the ring. Usually if something is electroplated or plated isn't marked as such. I mean, this one simpley shows 14k and 925.
Perhaps the band is 14k and the face is 925 or vice versa? I don't know!

Regardless, nice finds! Congrats! And job well done! :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That ring is called a "nugget" ring. I have one that is 14k gold with my birth stone set into it (Ruby). Very nice. Also found an identical screwdriver set like that one! We must'a gone to different places to hunt together! I use my screwdriver all the time to adjust my glasses. Looks like the kid's parents would have at least offered thanks. But they weren't keeping an eye on a 4 year old near a busy street, so what do you expect? Some people! Good finds though. Monty

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

Couple of things I have found:

1) metal that is plated CANNOT have a stamp. There, the theory that is 925 silver plated with 14K gold is shot down. The hallmark should simple show the plating.

2) HALLMARK
A hallmark is an official mark (or a series of marks) made in metal that indicates the fineness of the metal and the manufacturer's mark. For example, a hallmark of 925 indicates 925 parts of gold per 1000 weight. Other hallmarks indicate the maker of the piece and sometimes the year of manufacture. In many countries (like Britain) it is illegal to hallmark metal incorrectly; some countries are notoriously lax in their enforcement of hallmark honesty.

3) KARAT
Karat (abbreviated Kt) is a measure of the fineness of gold. 24 karat gold is pure gold. 18 karat gold is 18/24 gold (about 75% gold - three quarters gold). 14 karat gold is 14/24 gold (about 58% gold - a little over half gold). 12 karat gold is exactly half gold. 10 karat gold is 10/24 gold (only about 43.5% gold - less than half gold).

Now, obviously, by these definitions of HALLMARK and KARAT, the 925 and the 14K contradict themselves.

My recommendation? Take it to a reputable jeweler and see what he/she might have to say about it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea, that is a nugget ring as Monty first posted. The top part of the ring is made to look like a gold nugget. The way the ring is designed, the top part or the nugget part of the ring is 14k gold and the band is .925 sterling silver. No plate, electroplate or fill as others have said that is marked GF or EP. Nice find, good job with the kid keep it up. Could you do me a favor and post some other angles or pictures of the ring from different sides??

Keep @ It and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions