Another Visit to Seated Hill

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Went to my spot in the woods that has yielded me 5 seated halfs and no other coins until today. Found the usual assortment of lead, buckles, square nails, a horseshoe (must have been a really small horse!) and some things that were a little more interesting. Found 3 coins ... a 1924S wheatie, a 1945S silver nickel and a 1857 seated liberty quarter (very worn). Also found an 18K gold plated ring along the trail (probably modern) and some military type buttons that look old. The "tested and sealed" aluminum round that was shot up is kind of interesting. It has the initials ORE. and then S.D.A. as best as I can make out. I wonder what that was for. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe from a box of ammunition ... but I have no clue. I'm in Oregon so I'm fairly certain ORE. is for the state abbreviation. Maybe SDA is State Department of Administration .. purely a wild guess.

Any of you button experts want to enlighten me on the age etc. of the 2 small buttons as well as the larger button?

Also, here is a link to an article I wrote about a guy in our local club that trys to get out detecting every day.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/754091/every_day_treasure_hunting.html?cat=7

Happy Hunting!

Ed

Attachments

• seated hill misc 2-09.jpg
    seated hill misc 2-09.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 779
  • seated hill 1857.jpg
    seated hill 1857.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 796
  • seated 25.jpg
    seated 25.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 788
Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Geez, I'd kill for a worn Seated Quarter! :tard:

The big Eagle button certainly seems to be civil war era.... what's on the backmark?

Can't help with the smaller buttons / cufflinks.

Just use caution cleaning to find out the backmark. Use a dry toothpick to rub over the back gently over the back so you can see what it says, and let us know!

Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The SDA would be: State Department Of Agriculture. It's and old Gas Pump Seal I believe. Now they use stickers when they calibrate them, but what you found is what they used to use for certifiying calibrations..................Nice Digs................Can you tell me a little more about the site, I don't want you to divulge where, just more about what kind of site. Just curious on what made you search there.................HH................Dirtfishing

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is that to the left of the with the "key hole" look in it I have two of them thought they were maybe the master link to a chain just wanted to see if you knew, great finds by the way :thumbsup:

cw
www.wedigdixie.com

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
By the way, that Eagle Button is of Civil War Vintage..................it would have been manufactured pre-1871, as the Eagle changed to more of a "Chicken" look in 1871 and continued that way until 1901

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
The button with the eagle and anchor is a pre-Civil War Navy cuff button 1837-50 era. I found one just like it only mine was a coat sized button.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found 5 Seated Half dollars at this site? I would pound that place to death.
Congratulations on the qt. Do you have any idea what was there?

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here is a pic of back of button.

Just lucked into this site. Detecting for gold nuggets (without any luck) and ran into a nice place to detect for other things instead.

Attachments

• button bac.jpg
    button bac.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 520

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Oregon are you from? I'm from the Elgin/LaGrande area, but haven't lived there for 45 years. Am living in S. Korea now, and hunting the dickens out of the hills and mts here.
Great finds!! Any ideas why the old old stuff there? That sure predates Oregon Statehood. Hunt every square inch of that hill.....you might score VERY BIG, with what a miner hid there.......5 seated halves, and now 1 seated quarter.....that is an old old site for Oregon.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would sure like to see pics of those seated halves, thats a great site. If its a foundation? cover that whole area around it. I made out pretty good on LC`s last year hunting around foundations. Go find the privey and dig out those bottles too!

HH
Pro-

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Believe me I will be going back to this area for many hours to come!

Here is a picture of the seated halfs found there. One's been through a fire.

Attachments

• seated lib 5.jpg
    seated lib 5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 361
  • seated lib 5.jpg
    seated lib 5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 359

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
By the look of the finds I wonder if it was a saloon/tavern....?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread