CONFEDERATE BLOCK I BUTTON TODAY!!!

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Went out about 10am today with brother Kirk. I was hoping my old ankle that I sprang last week would hold out for a good hunt. I hobbled around for about an hour digging a few deepies. First the tent grommet then a chewed 3-ringer, all the while thinking my ankle really hurts. Then I dug the Confederate Block I and Kirk had disapeared and so did my ankle pain? I was busting to rub it in, so I went looking for him and he would have been 500 yards away, Turkey!! LOL
I took a couple pics of the button with my phone and left the button in the Jeep.
It is pretty fragile with a few little pieces broken away. ( Folks this is proof we need to get these relics out of the ground or they'll be lost forever.)
I showed Kirk the pics and thought about doing the chicken dance but I thought with this ankle I better not attempt it. So I opted to just ask him WHO'S YA DADDY !!! LOL We called it quits about 3pm - Kirk had to pick up the kids at the bus stop.
In conclusion: Today netted some great CW finds. A huge grommet of some sort, I took one picture of it beside the everyday sized grommet to show you how big this thing really is. A tiny little decorative face of a stick pin, what looks like a iron gun tool, an aluminum cylinder ( Looks like a lipstick tube ) about 5/8" in diameter x 1 1/2" long with a thick piece of clear crude glass in one end about 3/4" deep? This thing was about 11" deep while the CW bullets were in the 8"- 9" range. This one has me scratching my head. A couple percussion caps some three ringers and one 2 ringer with an odd base ( I don't know what type it is ), a few round pistol balls and camp lead. It's gonna be hard to top this day. Now I gotta find someone to restore this button. If you guys know of anyone that you can repair it at a reasonable expense let me know.

Thanks for looking,
John

Attachments

• IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 794
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, you are so right about the need to find these relics before they are all gone. That is one
sweet button. Think about all the relics that would be lost forever if it weren't for fine people
like you and the fine people on this forum.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't touch it John.....Awesome as it is :thumbsup:......Sweet Day Buddy!!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Big John. Congrats on a great button. :thumbsup:
-MM-

K

KirkTN

Got you 2 Genuine Confederate Buttons now. First a Script I and now the Block. :o :tard: Finds like that are what really make it exciting Bro. Ya Did GOOD! I wish I hadn't been so far away so I could've seen ya when you first brought 'er out. I'd've love to gotten a picture too of the impression in the clod of dirt you mentioned. I bet you forgot all about the ankle for a while. It was a Great Day!

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
tymcmurray said:
Love those finds!
I would take an I button in ANY condition
for my collection.
Thanks Ty, I wish it was in great condition but hey, I guess you could say it's got character. :D

Fisher said:
Killer button! Congrats! :thumbsup:
Thanks Fisher, I was using a Fisher F75 when I dug it. :wink:

Deno said:
John, you are so right about the need to find these relics before they are all gone. That is one
sweet button. Think about all the relics that would be lost forever if it weren't for fine people
like you and the fine people on this forum.
So true there is nothing more heart wrenching than to dig a great relic and have it disentegrate in you hands.

trusty said:

By George I believe you may be right. What were these dividers used for? Kinda looks like a tool used for mapping :icon_scratch:

VOL1266-X said:
Great finds John. WTG!!!
Thanks Quindy, I wish you and Doug could have been there. I was fit to be tied. LOL

civilman1 said:
I wouldn't touch it John.....Awesome as it is :thumbsup:......Sweet Day Buddy!!!!
I wouldn't normally but it's just so fragile I'm afraid if I don't do something to try and preserve it the thing might go on and fall apart.
I've seen your finds this does not compare my friend.
Thanks,
John

ModernMiner said:
Nice digs Big John. Congrats on a great button. :thumbsup:
-MM-
I'll trade you for your recent Reb Button :notworthy: :notworthy:

wobax said:
Great finds! Congrats on the button! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you sir.

rtde3 said:
Heck, I'll do the chicken dance for ya!! Sweet finds Bud! :headbang:
I would pay good money to see that ;D ;D ;D

KirkTN said:
Got you 2 Genuine Confederate Buttons now. First a Script I and now the Block. :o :tard: Finds like that are what really make it exciting Bro. Ya Did GOOD! I wish I hadn't been so far away so I could've seen ya when you first brought 'er out. I'd've love to gotten a picture too of the impression in the clod of dirt you mentioned. I bet you forgot all about the ankle for a while. It was a Great Day!

Thanks brother, your days coming trust me. You can squeeze out more finds consistently than anyone I have been around. I think you and that old XL-Pro
must talk the same language. Tell him "button" - hunt em up now. LOL

treasures4me2find said:
Congrats on your great looking finds. :thumbsup: kas

Thanks Kas

K

KirkTN

Hey Bro, Andie is right. Here' a little info from www.relicman.com

E M Lewis, Richmond Va

E M Lewis started out as a stencil maker in Richmond Va, then sold buttons during the war. It is not clear if Lewis actually made the buttons or subcontracted them. In any case, collectors prize the buttons bearing this southern name.

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
Andie Rigney said:
My phones dead,I just tried to call back.Hey listen,that bullet may be ur best find instead of the button.I know I was on internet this weekend looking at some dealers website and I know I seen that same bullet priced at like $300,and it was called some kind of rare Gardner variant.Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure.I'm racking my brain rite now trying to figure out who's site I was lookin at!!!

Your messing with me right? Please tell me your serious.
I'll see if I can find out what it is. I know it's not in my bullet book.

K

KirkTN

How bout a couple closeup pics of the bullet from the side and the bottom. Is there any mark in the base cavity?

I thought it was just a ringtail sharps when you dug it today, but after looking I think it's different.

ringtail Sharps bullet dug from the North Georgia area. 3 raised rings. About 0.545 x 1.035 inches

Attachments

• m182q545-1035.jpg
    m182q545-1035.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 481
OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
As you wish ;D

No markings in the base.

Rebated base - Lovell cavity

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 477
K

KirkTN

Good job on the pics of the bullet. I hope Andie is right about his little jewel!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o GREAT THAT YOUR ANKLE IS SO MUCH BETTER, JOHN! :wink:

WOOO WEEEE! What some fantastic finds!!! :icon_pirat: You two are giving Bert and Brad a run for their money! :D

I'm so proud for ya!! Love them CW finds!!! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

L

lovedigging

Great finds John, Hurt ankle or not I would've done the happy dance :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread