dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
the thaw continues. found this button yesterday at the same site as the coppers i've been posting lately. i've just been wading into the iron with my se and going real slow. this is the seventh of these buttons i've pulled out of this site, all with the same design, and in two sizes, this one having a diameter of 19mm. they were manufactured by giles/richards in cincinnati, oh. i'm not near any 1812 battle sites, so i figure someone brought their shirt home after the war, and then threw it away when it wore out.
found the silver religious pin this afternoon in a different area that has produced colonial era stuff in the past, but has seen modern use as well, so i'm not sure about the age of it. there's no writing on it. looks to be at least early 20th century, though. HH, dwayne

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 812
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 769
Upvote 0

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting button. Nice recoveries! There should be more there so keep hammering that site.
Mike :wink:

wobax

Dec 13, 2007
New Bern, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice Button!! I found a war of 1812 artillery a few weeks ago in an area that had no activity either. Weird how stuff travels.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a a Beautiful button, I found a Sterling Silver Officers War of 1812 button here in Ohio.

My story is an old gentleman went to the funeral of his son who was killed in the CW and he wore his
War of 1812 uniform to the funeral. When he got out of the buggy, a button fell off of his jacket. That is how
I say it was lost and I found it some 140 years later. Who knows how it was lost or why, but a War of 1812 button, like you found is a Fantastic find.

Congratulations!!

HH, Ringfinder

P.S.
I'm including a couple of pictures of my Button

Attachments

• Reg. T button2.jpg
    Reg. T button2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 741
  • back of button.jpg
    back of button.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 633
  • Reg. T button2.jpg
    Reg. T button2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 618
  • back of button.jpg
    back of button.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 593
OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the replies all.

brnn53- i thought this site was hammered months ago, but it just keeps on producing. i'm thinking of bringing in some heavy machinery soon for some earth moving. it's a plowed field, so i don't think i could harm anything more than it already is.

wobax- it's been years since i've been to new bern, but i remember there being an old curiosity museum with pickled tumors and two-headed piglets and stuff like that. is that still around?

ringfinder- that's a sweet button, and great story. i'm gonna hafta start making up some stories to go with my finds, as well...

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice dig. The closest I have come to that was an 1812 Large Cent found in Indiana of all places. And a Button commemorating the Battle Of Waterloo in 1815...I love your button though. It is in nice shape. Congrats. :thumbsup: jgas

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice find Dwayne....Congrats. I'm in western Ma. and we are about 2 weeks from detecting IF we don't get any more snow.

wobax

Dec 13, 2007
New Bern, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
dwayne sueno said:
wobax- it's been years since i've been to new bern, but i remember there being an old curiosity museum with pickled tumors and two-headed piglets and stuff like that. is that still around?

Wow, that is a new one on me. I have lived here about 4 years but haven't heard that. I would be interested to find that place. I will ask around.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds ,is it just me but it looks like in the picture underneath the eagle in the loop is that letters or numbers?

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ifoundit69- yes, it looks to me like it says "USI" for US Infantry, but it may be that i just want it to say that...

hogge- there's still 6" of snow on the northern slopes, but it's diggable down here as long as it's not clay. i'm heading up to north adams next week to play some music, and will bring a detector along just in case. hang in there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread