Some iron relics from an old farm

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
There has been a lot of sweat poured at the 1800's farm I've been hunting, and there hasn't been a lot of return, but we have found some interesting items. A month or two ago, DrDetector and I cleared an area near what we believe is an old outhouse; I gave him the first crack at it and he turned up a Jefferson nickel. Quite a disappointment, as we both figured at least a Buff, maybe a Liberty or even a Shield. I few weeks ago, I was finally able to go back and do some more clearing, but I first gave the other area a going over first. Right in the middle of the area, and I don't know how the good Dr overlooked it, was this massive ox shoe (at least I think it's an ox). That's how I've seen them identified elsewhere. Last week, I came across the business end of an old hoe; I can still hear the conversation about it: "Where's the hoe?" "I don't know, I wasn't the last one to use it." "Maybe one of our eight or nine children know where it is" And it was never found, until just the other day. Mrs. halfdime has to take my truck tomorrow, so it forced me to clean out the junk; here's a picture of some of the larger items. Hopefully, the next set of pictures from this place will have some silver in them!

Attachments

• dunniron (Small).jpg
    dunniron (Small).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 662
Upvote 0

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics and congratulations on your perseverance. It sure is a lot of work clearing a site with those hopes of future returns. Hopefully all of the work will pay off soon and you'll be rewarded for your efforts. What do you look for to determine where the old outhouse was located?
Steve

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
terpfan said:
Nice relics and congratulations on your perseverance. It sure is a lot of work clearing a site with those hopes of future returns. Hopefully all of the work will pay off soon and you'll be rewarded for your efforts. What do you look for to determine where the old outhouse was located?
Steve
We found a depression about outhouse size in a location relative to the house that made sense. Prevailing winds here are from the west; the outhouse is more to the south. We'll be doing some digging there soon, I hope. Kiros32 is also involved in the project.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't an Ox have a split hoof like a cow? I'll bet that's a shoe off a large draft horse used to plow and pull a heavy wagon? Monty

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some intesting finds WTG..Matt

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's pound that outhouse this weekend Henry! It's supposed to be in the high 50s this weekend. Give me a call or send me a message.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course oxen were shod, but I was refering to their shoes being two pieces instead of just one like a horse shoe. Monty

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Great old iron. Iron was such a huge part of our history. Yes, the oxen wore shoes they were two parts one on each side of the cloven hoof. I find a lot of them here in NH. I think they are great. I keep them, my two favorites being a tiny one that proves even the baby oxen worked and the other is a huge one from a big ol' boy.....

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ed-NH said:
Great old iron. Iron was such a huge part of our history. Yes, the oxen wore shoes they were two parts one on each side of the cloven hoof. I find a lot of them here in NH. I think they are great. I keep them, my two favorites being a tiny one that proves even the baby oxen worked and the other is a huge one from a big ol' boy.....
So this one was most likely from a draft horse, then. There is so much to learn here!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime,

Keep at it there!

The really good stuff is yet to come! I just know it! :thumbsup:

Rick

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
You'll have to let me know how the hunt goes today. I haven't been feeling 100% the last couple days and the light rain/wetness mixture just isn't doin it for me. Not sure how I could have missed that though! Same as that large cent you found that I was right near the day prior.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
DrDetector said:
You'll have to let me know how the hunt goes today. I haven't been feeling 100% the last couple days and the light rain/wetness mixture just isn't doin it for me. Not sure how I could have missed that though! Same as that large cent you found that I was right near the day prior.
We were rained out today, but hope to work the outhouse next Sunday. Better check that machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread