7 Silver ~ Barber Dime ~ 1909 S Semi-Key Wheat ~ Another Good Day!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello My Friends!

I can't believe the day I had yesterday at a very heavily pounded park. My buddy, Mike(oknorom), has been making some recent great silver finds there this year, so I thought I would join him yesterday for a full day of detecting. I wasn't going to get my expectation too high...I know better to do that at this park. A one silver day and a few wheaties is considered a good day there now. The park is beautiful, with many 300+ year old oak trees, and lots of peacocks all around you. Every time I go back to this park, I always remember my seated half find there, along with the many other great coins and relics my buddies and I have found. My first find of the day was a 1920 wheatie next to an old oak tree, while a couple of peacocks were watching me carefully while I was on making my plug. :bigsmile: After Mike arrived, we both headed to the oldest section of the park to see if we could find anything else hiding in the trash underneath the old oaks. I was detecting right along a cement walkway when I heard a faint, but high fluty signal. I let Mike listen to it, and he said he would dig that any day of the year. After digging about 7", I saw the shine of a silver coin in the bottom of my plug. My first silver of the day, a 1911 D barber dime. :headbang: It's amazing how many times we've pounded this little area, and are still making some great finds. A little while later, we moved to a different section of the park, and I dug a deep wheatie that was so corroded, I couldn't read the date on it. I jokingly told Mike, "I'm going to call it a 1909 S VDB". :laughing11: A few minutes later, I went into a woodsy section and managed to pull out a couple of Rosies, a few more wheats, and a silver bracelet charm which has the letters "M.E.M" on it. The back says sterling with the makers mark on it. A short while later, DanaPointVal met up with us and we headed back to the older section again where I found the barber dime. I was detecting right underneath a very old oak when I got a mixed signal on my SE. It was zinc'y sounding with mixed low tones. I was going for this signal because I knew it could be an early wheat or Injun. After digging the plug, I put my probe in the hole, and heard a nice zinc'y signal. When I had the coin in my hand, Mike was the first to tell me, "It's a 1909 S". I thought he was joking because of my mention of my corroded wheatie being a 1909S earlier in the day. He then said you better take a look at it. I did, and I couldn't believe it really was a 1909 S. I hadn't turned the coin over yet to see if the designer's initials (VDB) were present. Well, they weren't, but I was still real happy to get that semi-key wheat, especially from the area I dug it from. :occasion18:

After digging a few more teens wheaties, another Rosie, an eye find piece of silver on the ground, along with a two-heart pendant that has the names "Art" and "Sammie" etched in handwriting on each heart, we called it a day. By the time we were walking to the car, the peacocks were walking around everywhere, while the animals in the small park zoo were all yelping and making a ton of noise. It was a fantastic day with my two hunting buds. With regards to #'s of old coins I found there yesterday at that park, it will be a day I'm sure I will probably never have there again.

Thanks for looking!

Keep The Passion High! :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3380_sm.jpg
    IMG_3380_sm.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 777
  • 1909S_030309.jpg
    1909S_030309.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 769
  • Barber_Bracelet_030309.jpg
    Barber_Bracelet_030309.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_3379_sm.jpg
    IMG_3379_sm.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Incredible finds as usual. Looks like Lincoln had some acne. Have you found all the semi-key wheats? I bet you could probably complete a collection except for the 22 plain or the 09 S VDB.

S

seger98

WTG, congratulations once again on a great day out there digging! Nice coins.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Very good day indeed. If I'm ever in your area hunting, I won't be following your footsteps because it looks like you don't miss a thing! ;D

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Bartman said:
Incredible finds as usual. Looks like Lincoln had some acne. Have you found all the semi-key wheats? I bet you could probably complete a collection except for the 22 plain or the 09 S VDB.

I found a '22 plain back in '07. I haven't found a '14D, the '09S vdb, a '31S, or any error wheats.

Thanks, Bartman! Yeah, the early wheats I find here always have those zits on them..nothing you can do about it. :'(

HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
man i would love to get a 1909s. i have 2 but they werent dug. there is a repunched mint mark variety for the s. congrats nice hunt. willy.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt about it, you had an excellent day. Wish we had some old parks around here that produce like they do there for you. Keep at it, love the picts.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the 1909 s wheatie! :) Looks like you had another great silver day! :) Are you going to frame it? I would! :)

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Captn_SE said:
Bartman said:

I found a '22 plain back in '07. I haven't found a '14D, the '09S vdb, a '31S, or any error wheats.

Thanks, Bartman! Yeah, the early wheats I find here always have those zits on them..nothing you can do about it. :'(

HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan
Looks like I spoke too soon. I figured the 22 plain would be the one you wouldn't have. At your rate I'm sure the 31S or the 09 S V.D.B will appear. Those "S" mintmarks are hard for us here back East. I just think it would be awesome to put together a complete (besides errors) collection of wheaties.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Dan !!!!

With the number of early wheats you pull out of the ground I'm sure you'll get one of those rare dates someday.

I'm still after a few of those key dates too. But, I did witness a 1914-D get dug by my brother ( I was only 10 feet away >:( ). That was over 20 years ago !!!

But, I'm sure there are still a few out there hiding !!!!

Brian

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Dan, The silver is looking great !!!! Congrats on the barber and wheats.I hope to try out the camera this weekend ,it is suppost to be warm this weekend :icon_sunny: Good luck on your next hunt :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread