Seated Hill Update

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
No coins today... darn. Guess I'm spoiled with the 5 seated halfs and the seated quarter. Pictures of misc finds. Fork that isn't rusting to nothing and maybe a suspender clip (???). Looks kind of military but I don't know. Been hitting it hard lately before the spring poison oak comes out in all its splender. Is the fork silver plated or silver?

Attachments

• seated misc 3-09.jpg
    seated misc 3-09.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 857
  • seated ny.jpg
    seated ny.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 885
  • seated knife front.jpg
    seated knife front.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 809
  • seated knife back.jpg
    seated knife back.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 819
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there is a fantastic Belt Buckle! It is the tongue part of a two piece buckle, probably pre-civil war, civilian (that's my guess, off the cuff...).  Most of those designs were civilian, but this one looks like cast brass (I was thinking many of the sash buckles were stamped brass instead).  I'm not familiar with this type (pre-civil war), but Tnet member kuger has many in his collection.  He's our resident expert on this style, and I'm sure he can tell you more.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I have the Wreath side of your buckle. It's also pre civil war. I wish my luck would bring me one tongue to fit mine. Cogradulations, and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• indexCAZ4BBKW.jpg
    indexCAZ4BBKW.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 801
  • indexCAZ4BBKW.jpg
    indexCAZ4BBKW.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 770

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DougF said:
Great buckle piece! That's better than a seated half in my opinion. Congrats.

I agree...nice finds.

NJ

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a super militia tongue to a tongue and wreath buckle. The wreath part may be nearby. Great find!!!!!!!!

Marc

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice one right there. Get back out and find its partner! :thumbsup: jgas

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the neat bucket....Matt

Championhilz

Greenie
Nov 7, 2004
I think I found one of the makers of your belt buckle listed in the book American Military Goods Dealers and Makers 1785 - 1915:

William Taussig & Co.

Listed at 238 Delancy Street in 1850 and at 186 Pearl Street from 1851-1854 (both addresses are New York City). In 1854 & 1856 listed as manufacturer of California & military goods, fancy goods, gauntlets, elastic belts, bags & money belts, pistol holsters, gold dust bags, etc. The firm was succeeded in Aug. 1855 by Taussig & Pollack Bros. and in 1856 by Pollack Brothers. The firm also had a branch in San Francisco.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old River said:
I think I have the Wreath side of your buckle. It's also pre civil war. I wish my luck would bring me one tongue to fit mine. Cogradulations, and Happy Hunting.
Nope that is not the wreath...far from it.The wreath that goes to his has a reeded edge on the belt loop and a smooth outer rim....yours is cast brass as well :wink:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Championhilz said:
I think I found one of the makers of your belt buckle listed in the book American Military Goods Dealers and Makers 1785 - 1915:

William Taussig & Co.

Listed at 238 Delancy Street in 1850 and at 186 Pearl Street from 1851-1854 (both addresses are New York City). In 1854 & 1856 listed as manufacturer of California & military goods, fancy goods, gauntlets, elastic belts, bags & money belts, pistol holsters, gold dust bags, etc. The firm was succeeded in Aug. 1855 by Taussig & Pollack Bros. and in 1856 by Pollack Brothers. The firm also had a branch in San Francisco.
Thats not Wetzler and Taussig though,good info none the less!! :wink:

The duck

Jan 21, 2013
melbourne
Detector(s) used
ace 250 ace 350 AT pro
Fischer gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is both new york and san francisco
IMG_9117.jpg IMG_9223.jpg

Top Member Reactions