A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Thunter

Oct 2004
    Oregon, No Cal Border
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
    886 times
    Banner Finds (1)

A Mini-Cache on

Ok Ö Iím still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area Ösuper.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. Iím digging those real ďchoppyĒ signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but itís been a productive obviously old site so Iíve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and Iím real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that itís normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together Ö unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didnít notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870ís the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now Iím up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!

The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seated mini dirt front.jpg 
Views:	5691 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	276195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seated mini front.jpg 
Views:	5746 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	276196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seate 3-09.jpg 
Views:	5612 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	276197  
    Last edited by winslow; Dec 01, 2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: link no longer active

us
    Feb 2008
    Kentucky
    White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
    14 times
    Prospecting and coin shooting

Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

WOW! Great finds!!

Thanks for sharing!
    Lookin' and pickin'!

us
    Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    XP Deus
    1488 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

WOW!!! that's awesome!! BANNER!!!!

us
    Feb 2009
    West/Central Texas
    Bounty HUnter Quick Draw 2

wow, nice find.

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
    192 times
    Metal Detecting

Please be seated. Hell, I'd fall on my butt from the shock if I found those. Incredibly awesome find winslow!

HH!
    Beep

us
    Jul 2007
    Western Massachusetts
    Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
    8 times

Excellent finds!!!

us
    Aug 2004
    E-Trac, DFX, F-75
    2 times

Fantastic!!! Great Finds!! Thanks for sharing

Jun 2006
    connecticut
    203 times
    Banner Finds (2)

that sure seems like a late 1800's army or calvary payroll stash or cache , bet theres more . congrats great find

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

awesome find congrats!!
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

us
    Apr 2008
    Midwesterner
    DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
    1888 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Keep going, keep going. You will own the Banner soon.. jgas
    JGAS

us
    Nov 2008
    NW NJ
    White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
    60 times

Awesome coins ! Nice way to start a seated collection, it looks like you have a excellent spot to hunt.

TommNJ

us
    Oct 2006
    Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
    Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
    122 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

It just keeps getting better doesn't it? DANG, that's nice. Should be on the banner for sure!

DANGLANGLEY
    Disclaimer: The views or opinions of this patient are not necessarily the same as those held by the owners or staff of this facility.
    He sometimes escapes his padded cell. If this patient is contacting you against your wishes please tell him to discontinue immediately.
    Signed, Dr. Ima Quack

us
    Semper Fi!

Jan 2007
    Indiana
    Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
    14 times

Just another ho-hum day...NOT!!! Congrats on finding those Seated Halves, a banner find by any means!! Finding one is hard enough now and to find seven, very sweet!!
    "Two things are infinite, the Universe and Human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe"
    ~Albert Einstein~

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    36 times

WHOA! That's crazy. Those things are in real nice shape too. Dig out that trash and keep going slow and pulling out the awesome stuff from that hill. Big congrats on the spill!

us
    Dec 2006
    upstate N.Y.
    Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
    62 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Holy poop !!!!!! That is awesome !!! congrats !! I was pretty impressed with your other posts and finds but this here is amazing.Continued good luck to ya.......Id be hunting that site 24-7....this could still just be the tip of the iceburg.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links