A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
A Mini-Cache on

Ok … I’m still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area …super.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. I’m digging those real “choppy” signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but it’s been a productive obviously old site so I’ve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and I’m real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that it’s normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together … unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didn’t notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870’s the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now I’m up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!

The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.

Attachments

• seated mini dirt front.jpg
    seated mini dirt front.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,772
  • seated mini front.jpg
    seated mini front.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5,818
  • seate 3-09.jpg
    seate 3-09.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5,664
Last edited:
Upvote 9

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

WOW! :o :o :o Great finds!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!!! that's awesome!! BANNER!!!!

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Please be seated. Hell, I'd fall on my butt from the shock if I found those. Incredibly awesome find winslow! :thumbsup:

HH!
Beep

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75

Fantastic!!! Great Finds!! Thanks for sharing

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut

that sure seems like a late 1800's army or calvary payroll stash or cache , bet theres more . congrats great find

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Keep going, keep going. You will own the Banner soon.. :thumbsup: jgas

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Awesome coins ! Nice way to start a seated collection, it looks like you have a excellent spot to hunt.

TommNJ

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It just keeps getting better doesn't it? DANG, that's nice. Should be on the banner for sure!

DANGLANGLEY

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Just another ho-hum day...NOT!!! Congrats on finding those Seated Halves, a banner find by any means!! Finding one is hard enough now and to find seven, very sweet!!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHOA! That's crazy. Those things are in real nice shape too. Dig out that trash and keep going slow and pulling out the awesome stuff from that hill. Big congrats on the spill!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy poop !!!!!! That is awesome !!! congrats !! I was pretty impressed with your other posts and finds but this here is amazing.Continued good luck to ya.......Id be hunting that site 24-7....this could still just be the tip of the iceburg. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

How much better could it get ED? That's a great hunt :thumbsup:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, holly crap !!

That is the closest thing to a real cache I have ever seen. If something should get banner it is this find. That is just awesome, dream find of a lifetime. Everyone please click Report Post nominate for banner at he bottom left of his post.

Awesome Job !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FANTASMAGORICAL finds!! That is more seated liberty's than were minted-lol.

Great research to find that site.

SKD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread