Thought i had a cache....

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Was detecting out in the middle of the woods and i happen to notice a small circular rock ring or pile, swung my coil over it and was surprised to get a beep :o I thought it had to be something good....i mean who would put something crappy under a pile of rocks and go thru the trouble of making it circle shaped? Well it turned out to be two hollow iron rods stuck in the ground upright underneith the rocks...strange :P Only other finds were a shotgun shell or two, going back out tomarow though :)

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHHH to bad Jake!

Maybe they were used for property boundary markers? I bet your heart was just a beepin though!

Hope you have better luck next time!!!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thats what i was thinking, but why put your property markers under rocks? :P Maybe when property traded hands they just hit them down with rocks?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

that is the best thing about this hobby, (obsession); your next hunt could realize the cache you thought you had today.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

uberlapis

Aug 8, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jake I'd give that pile of rocks one more dig but this time a little deeper it could be a cache!
You just missed it buy putting it off as the property markers there could be a box or jar of some sort under there. They could own a detector (usualy cheep one) but use the stakes to locate the cache that is or could be burried underneth.

the rocks could be a "treasure sign" and the stakes are there insurance that if something happend to the rocks they could alwaya metal detect the steel spikes to locate it again.

Oh yeah refer to the imfomis "where's my naboughs cache" by beekrock thread and this steel rod thing is explained and there is a drawing of it. where starting at ground level 3 inch's of dirt 3-4foot steel rod standing on end and 6 inchs of dirt and there at the bottom a big wooden box wraped in plastic contaning a cache of some sort.

I'm not trying to give you false hopes of a cache but who knows why not give it another try besides were treasure hunters. and if there is nothing there when you go back you were still hunting for it and staying true to the name.

HH and good luck on this one Jake!
Uber

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
I think I would take me a big shovel and go back to that spot....you never know

Good luck
Mike

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
yea i thought about that too, the rods were only a foot long if that...but ill give it another look just in case :)

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
It could be a property marker. They usually mark those places with the steel spikes but after a few years, especially in the woods, they get real hard to find. Maybe the rocks were there to mark the spot a little more visibly.

I would still check that sucker out with a bigger shovel though, can't be too safe...

Dudes

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
In the W. Mass area there are many property boundaries marked using the unused barrels of rifles made at the Springfield Armory. These proved to be solid enough to hammer into the ground as well as plentiful. I don't know where you're from, but here it's not unusual.

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
I Can understand the initial goosebumps then disappointment you must have had.

I have dug? ( at LEAST a dozen different times !! )? a strong signal & ended up with an old zinc Mason Jar lid, only to be disappointed with a jar full of coins NOT being attached to it.? The trunk of my car is filling up with those damn things !!? :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread