Sundays Privy Dig

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
We got out for some digging yesterday. We were in a woods on top of old foundations near downtown Cincinnati. Chuck found a "mac 11" 9mm sub machine gun under a big foundation rock he knocked off the wall. It was loaded with 21 9mm rounds. It had a shoestring tied around the rear site, for wearing inside a jacket probably. Must have been used for some illicit thing and then hidden. Crazy ! -Eddie

Attachments

• gunsmall.jpg
    gunsmall.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,916
Upvote 0

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt be letting no one check it out the way the laws makers are and the PO PO they might try pinning something on you ,clean it up ,try it out ,put it away , hey but thats just me and the world we live in man !

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
cool find..... NICE M-11.....9mm pistol.......take it to your local pd.....have them dispose of properly......do not rebuild.....rusted metal fatigues and becomes unsafe ..,looks like the safety is on but the bolt is in the open position......still very dangerous....looks like it has a plastic 30 round mag.....is the serial number readable? it is located on the left side lower front,,,,,stamped on the lower receiver....the first two numbers reading from left to right are the year of manufacture.....89-*****

here is a picture of one with a screw on suppressor......they sell from $300-$600 as shown.........only good for wasting ammo....kind of just spray and pray......they were made popular in the late 80's and early 90's by the Miami vice tv show..

db

Attachments

• m-11 a.jpg
    m-11 a.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 2,227
  • m-11 b.jpg
    m-11 b.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,225
  • m-11 c.jpg
    m-11 c.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,228

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
The police showed up eventually and took the gun away. It was made in Atlanta, GA if anyone is curious. I could not have lived with myself knowing that there was a chance, albeit a small one, that I kept a violent crime from being solved. I would have thought that anyone who really wanted to get rid of the gun would have just thrown it in the Ohio river which was only a stones throw away. I offered to take the officers to the exact location where the gun was found and they declined. I just wish we would have found some dang bottles.
Chuck

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
I was digging 5 feet from Chuck when I heard him say "Holy Cow, this is real!" I looked up expecting to see him holding a bottle or marble or something and nearly fell over when I saw him holding up the 9mm! As already stated, he turned it in because we are ethical and conscientious treasure hunters and besides, the $37,939 dollars in cash stashed in plastic bags along with the weapon split evenly between the 3 of us. :) For the humor impaired- the cash comment was a joke! Another dig I will never forget... -Rob

Bottleviking said:
We got out for some digging yesterday. We were in a woods on top of old foundations near downtown Cincinnati. Chuck found a "mac 11" 9mm sub machine gun under a big foundation rock he knocked off the wall. It was loaded with 21 9mm rounds. It had a shoestring tied around the rear site, for wearing inside a jacket probably. Must have been used for some illicit thing and then hidden. Crazy ! -Eddie

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
let the local police know of the find you will most likely get it back after they do some checking on it. i found one last year turned it over and got it back after a couple of weeks. it was unuasble. so i got to keep it. :thumbsup:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pointdlr said:
I know Chuck and the Bottle Viking. Chuck called me and we talked about the gun on Saturday night. He had already called CPD, and they were supposedly on their way. He ended waiting around for a couple hours on a Saturday night before they came. They were rude, took the gun, and wrote down his info. They said the gun would be destroyed. My advice to Chuck was to turn it in b/c it was probably used in a crime. In hindsight, those cops didn't give a squat about any potential crimes involved, and acted like jerks. Shoulda kept it, made it functional and started taking down commies!!!!!!!
Jon Dickinson.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
pointdlr said:
I know Chuck and the Bottle Viking. Chuck called me and we talked about the gun on Saturday night. He had already called CPD, and they were supposedly on their way. He ended waiting around for a couple hours on a Saturday night before they came. They were rude, took the gun, and wrote down his info. They said the gun would be destroyed. My advice to Chuck was to turn it in b/c it was probably used in a crime. In hindsight, those cops didn't give a squat about any potential crimes involved, and acted like jerks. Shoulda kept it, made it functional and started taking down commies!!!!!!!
Jon Dickinson.

Figures. The right thing? Been there-done that. Hopefully it's a lesson learned.
Newt

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Bottleviking said:

You should take that to the police, now that your fingerprints are on it, they might have a hard time with it. You might be able to solve a murder and be rewarded.

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
crazyjarhead said:
Elad said:
Holy crap... might want to report it to the police ASAP. :tard:

That's the first thing that came to mind :o
Good find!
First thing that came to my mind was Bank bag " #1703" from an American Bank robbery. I found the bag at an outlaw hideout of old dilapidated buildings that were in the shape of native "chickees", igloo like shape native dwellings. The place sold orange juice once but was all grown over.
US1 and St.Rd.3 intersection in Volusia County ,Fla. 1999. I had to call the Bank. Confirmed, they had a mess of ATM teller night drop robberies. #1703 was once one of them.1983.

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it didn't get tossed in the near by river because who ever stashed it, thought they might go back for it, and there'd be no chance of that, if they had tossed it in the river.
And maybe they didn't make it back to the hiding spot to collect it, because they were nabbed by the police anyway (one can only hope)

Interesting though...for sure I know I would have picked it up, figured out it was real, then placed it back down in a heartbeat. I would have made the police come to me out there where I found it...but only "after" I finished searching the entire area for anything else (money, another gun, etc...)

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Maybe the person who stashed it got capped before they could use it again. Oh darn!

Good move getting to the authorities. While fun to find, I'm with you...rather see if it could possibly help solve a crime then just be a wall hanger. Good on you for doing it right.

Now, make sure all those purses in the woods don't have coin, cash or jewlery in or about them.

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3
Just some correct information on Mac11's.....
They have been made by 6-7 different manufacturers.
Some early Semi's fired from an "Open Bolt" ....all the later Semi's from a "Closed Bolt".
The selector you see in the top of the trigger guard is the safety. (back is safe forward to fire).
"If" it was manufactured in "Sellect Fire" (machine gun) the Semi-Full Sellector is on the left side.
Owning legal NFA weapons (machine guns) doesn't require a license. A Dealer who handles the
transfers of such weapons is a Class Three Dealer and he has a FFL License to do so. If your
State allows ownership of NFA Weapons and you are not a convicted felon. Then you apply to the
BATFE for approval to take possession and pay a one time $200 transfer tax on each weapon you
purchase. There are a few additional technicalities that can slow down your approval.
This particular Mac11 might have been "illegally" modified to fire in full auto. It would have been
interesting to examine it first hand as it might explained why it was hidden. As others have said it
might have been stolen or used in the commission of a crime. When it comes to NFA Weapons
most local Law Enforcement are fairly un-knowing on the actual laws governing them. Thats not a
slam or their fault. Its just a very technical area of Firearms Law. Its amazing how many War time
weapons turn up in Veterans attic and basement these days since most are unfortunatlly dying off.
This was an exciting find...... keep us informed if you ever get the weapon back or any information from the LEO's.

TiredIron

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
thats pretty cool....if you do get it back amke sure it is empty...spray paint it black and hang it an the wall.....talk about yer conversation piece

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread