hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great artifacts!! My friend and I went into the Cornucopia mining area, near Baker City, Oregon many, many years ago.
Found a few things.....but, in front of a miners old, log cabin we found a set of drilling bits......6 total....6 different sizes, the heads still wrapped in cloth with wire holding the cloth on.
It gets exciting around old mining areas. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never cease to amaze me with your Fantastic iron finds.

Great pieces you found--and unbroken ones at that.

:thumbsup:

-Buckles

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
This is exactly why I like digging big iron. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Thanks Buckleboy. It's amazing the amount of tools left in the woods over a hundred years ago. I guess there was no inventory check back then. In the case of the mining pick heads, I have found others that had the persons initials inscribed on them. Seems to me, if they lost them, they couldn't work. I won't know if these have initials until I clean them this summer.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
Thanks Buckleboy. It's amazing the amount of tools left in the woods over a hundred years ago. I guess there was no inventory check back then. In the case of the mining pick heads, I have found others that had the persons initials inscribed on them. Seems to me, if they lost them, they couldn't work. I won't know if these have initials until I clean them this summer.

Were the initials stamped in, cast in, or scratched with a knife? That's very Cool! I'd love to see a photo of some "personalized" ones sometime if you get a chance.

Once again, Great finds :thumbsup:

-Buckles

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
nc-joe, the mining town dug coal and supplied it to a local coke ovens operation. The town was established in 1864. Buckles, here are a few photos. They are D.D. X and A.Y. I have a 4 others with initials, but they don't show as well.

Attachments

• dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 224
  • x.JPG
    x.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 221
  • ay.JPG
    ay.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 208

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool picks,I was going to tell you those are early ones but sounds like you already know that.They look very similar to the ones I find in 1850's sites.I never used to pack them out but I started a couple of years ago and now have a yard of them(dug 27 in one camp)I clean them up to find makers marks,but have never found one that has inscriptions like yours.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really cool--obviously pounded in with a cold chisel or an awl or leather punch and a hammer. I really like the personalized ones. Unless someone hunted a work camp, it seems to me that personalized tools are a rarity to find.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodness, I don't know how you managed to haul all those heavy things out. :P :D I know they'll have a nice place in that fantastic collection of yours. :thumbsup:

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread