Beautiful Rare Gilted War of 1812 Button - Irish/American Militia - UNION GREENS - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Beautiful Rare Gilted War of 1812 Button - Irish/American Militia - UNION GREENS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    36849 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Beautiful Rare Gilted War of 1812 Button - Irish/American Militia - UNION GREENS

Sweet Finds Don !

I Love the Union Greens !

don't Remember if I Ever saw one here before.

Jeff

Re: Beautiful Rare Gilted War of 1812 Button - Irish/American Militia - UNION GREENS

Congrats on the Banner Don!
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

PBK

May 2005
    218 times

Re: Beautiful Rare Gilted War of 1812 Button - Irish/American Militia - UNION GR

Well done and Banner worthy indeed... and just in time for St. Patrick's Day, too!

I've never seen another Union Greens button, and doubt I'll ever see a better one.

us
    Jul 2007
    Western Massachusetts
    Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
    8 times

Great buttons and looks like a pretty cool site.

us
    Jan 2008
    Plainville,Ga
    Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300
    7 times

Thats a beauty.
    "Whiskey - I like it, I always did, and that is the reason I never use it".   Robert E. Lee

***CONGRATS ON YOUR UNION GREEN BANNER FIND DON****

-MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

us
    Dec 2008
    Fern Creek Ky
    XLT
    30 times

What a find. Congrats on the banner.

THANKS and Updated with confirmation information!

Thanks for the Banner TNetters! It is hard to think that I would ever be posting a 1797 Half Cent in decent shape and not have it in the title as previously mentioned, but this button did excite me much more so than the Half Cent, which is a super find but not unusual as the Union Greens button.

Nice to see buttons get the recognition they deserve, since they are so much a part of history, more so than most coins.

Speaking of the 1797, Hogge wanted to know the variety, well, there are three varieties for 1797 and mine is the more common one found, a Cohen 3a, Rarity 3. In fact it is my second Cohen 3a and I do have Cohen 1 and 2 also, now just to find Cohen 3b and 3c!

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to update with some more information on the Irish unit of Union Greens, if I can get through to the right person at the Baltimore Historical Society.

But I did get basically confirmation information from a book on the Irish in America.

The book that mentions the Union Greens and the symbol of the US Eagle with the Harp under the wing and it is on Google The book is titled: UNITED IRISHMEN, UNITED STATES by David A Wilson

http://books.google.com/books?id=I2N...esult#PPA73,M1

On Page 79 in United Irishmen, by David A Wilson; it mentions that in 1807 the Irish were angered with the British over many atrocities being committed against them and thus the Irish started joining American militia units and raised companies of their own.
    One of the companies formed in Baltimore was the UNION GREENS, whose banner of green depicted an eagle protecting a harp beneath its spreading wing.

Thanks again for banner recognition and hopefully I can get more information on the history behind the militia unit known as the UNION GREENS.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Oct 2008
    New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
    23 times

Great finds Don!!!
    Finally in the 1700s

us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    11 times

Wow, Don, that's an Awesome button find!

I bet you never thought about finding that item. That's what is so exciting about our hobby....You just never know what you're going to find, especially out in the Woods!!

Congrats on the Banner, and on your Liberty Cap!! Well deserved. When you find something that special and out of the ordinary, you will never forget it.

And so ironic, considering the holiday this Tues.!!

HH,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

Re: THANKS and Updated with confirmation information!

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Thanks for the Banner TNetters! It is hard to think that I would ever be posting a 1797 Half Cent in decent shape and not have it in the title as previously mentioned, but this button did excite me much more so than the Half Cent, which is a super find but not unusual as the Union Greens button.

Nice to see buttons get the recognition they deserve, since they are so much a part of history, more so than most coins.

Speaking of the 1797, Hogge wanted to know the variety, well, there are three varieties for 1797 and mine is the more common one found, a Cohen 3a, Rarity 3. In fact it is my second Cohen 3a and I do have Cohen 1 and 2 also, now just to find Cohen 3b and 3c!

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to update with some more information on the Irish unit of Union Greens, if I can get through to the right person at the Baltimore Historical Society.

But I did get basically confirmation information from a book on the Irish in America.

The book that mentions the Union Greens and the symbol of the US Eagle with the Harp under the wing and it is on Google The book is titled: UNITED IRISHMEN, UNITED STATES by David A Wilson

http://books.google.com/books?id=I2N...esult#PPA73,M1

On Page 79 in United Irishmen, by David A Wilson; it mentions that in 1807 the Irish were angered with the British over many atrocities being committed against them and thus the Irish started joining American militia units and raised companies of their own.
    One of the companies formed in Baltimore was the UNION GREENS, whose banner of green depicted an eagle protecting a harp beneath its spreading wing.

Thanks again for banner recognition and hopefully I can get more information on the history behind the militia unit known as the UNION GREENS.

Don

I agree, think banner... almost there.

us
    Dec 2006
    upstate N.Y.
    Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
    62 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Very cool Don......awesome history right there !

Feb 2007
    Rhode Island
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    59 times

Yet another great hunt Don, you never stop impressing us all!

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    67 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow I def would like to hear more about the union green button
    Leave no stone unturned.

us
    Aug 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
    47 times

WOW Don...I bow to his banner'ness

Way ta go..and a heartfelt gaw-dang!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links