My first copper-need help with cleaning

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
First off, sorry no pictures. I will take it into work on Monday and put it under the digital microscope. So whats the best cleaning method? I know its been asked a million times but it is my first. Appears to be an early 1800's, pretty well worn. Has a wreath on the back with "one cent" centered. No rim is visible, looks plain. 29mm and thick. Also found an 1863 indian head, and an old braclet, appears to be home made (silver plated copper). Thanks for the input. (bye the way, these are my first pre1900's coins!)

Upvote 0

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Way to go on the first pre 1900's coins. Sounds like it's a large cent. Very cool. It also sounds like it is pretty well worn, so cleaning should not be too big of an issue. Heat up some peroxide in the microwave for about 40 seconds, it should be bubbling hot (be careful) remove the container from the microwave and drop the coin in. After it stops bubbling rub gently with a Q-tip and repeat as needed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without seeing a picture It's like asking a Doctor what's wrong and not telling him where it hurts.

S

seger98

nc-joe said:
Way to go on the first pre 1900's coins. Sounds like it's a large cent. Very cool. It also sounds like it is pretty well worn, so cleaning should not be too big of an issue. Heat up some peroxide in the microwave for about 40 seconds, it should be bubbling hot (be careful) remove the container from the microwave and drop the coin in. After it stops bubbling rub gently with a Q-tip and repeat as needed.

Yup, this is the way I do it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread