BIG find of coins!! Need help identifying!!

diggingitrtb

Mar 14, 2008
hinsdale mass
Detector(s) used
whites prizem 4
Out with hogge today and found all 15 coins in one hole!! need help identifying them; They seem to have some sort of Chinese (?) writings on them. Found at an old foundation hole maybe dating back to the early 1800's. Any help with identifying these , would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

DigginitRTB

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 889
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 889
Upvote 0

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! I found 1 that matches one of yours a while back and the research I did proved it to be malaysian...I still don't know how to tell a date on these. somebody here will be able to help for sure!

taz in omaha ne

Mar 15, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White's XLT E-Series Metal Detector + Garrett MH ADS-7 + Garrett GTA-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on ya Cache Find there !!! Thats a awesome feeling what ya just keep pulling coins outta the ground :) I know first hand as i used to live in NY an found a cache of trade tokens 2,900 of them LoL seemed they came from a robbery that happened in the area an couldnt be spent after LoL there loss an my find...

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Moutray said:
Cool find!!! Most of them are Chinese cash coins minted during the reign of Kao Tsung 1736-1795. Congrats! HH, Mike.
Mike, I just came home from "DiggiitRTB's" and you dated them correctly. We still have over 1/2 of them to figure out, but 5 of the 7 we did were dated to that period. 2 were from 1821-1850. Can you give us a clue as to value? Thanks Hogge

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Mike Moutray said:
Cool find!!! Most of them are Chinese cash coins minted during the reign of Kao Tsung 1736-1795. Congrats! HH, Mike.
Mike, I just came home from "DiggiitRTB's" and you dated them correctly. We still have over 1/2 of them to figure out, but 5 of the 7 we did were dated to that period. 2 were from 1821-1850. Can you give us a clue as to value? Thanks Hogge
Nice find.The 1850's ones are rare,how much they are worth I dont know,but the others are worth a dollar or two.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
kuger said:
hogge said:
Mike Moutray said:
Nice find.The 1850's ones are rare,how much they are worth I dont know,but the others are worth a dollar or two.
this link may help you out... http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I could see were as others have described them. And the reverses showed common mints. The 1800 coins aren't necessarily valuable. Depends on the
style of the Chinese characters, and the mint. The different styles will attribute them to certain dates. Still, nice cache of coins NOT FROM THE U.S. That is always interesting. (By the way, anyone reading this: has anyone mentioned locating a cache of foreign coins other than Chinese coins, like a cache of coins from Europe? If so, perhaps it was before I joined this site.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions