Colonial Fort in Missouri

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an opportunity! Thats all I can really say. Last Sunday, my new best friend in the world, JD invited me and another buddy up for a colonial fort hunt. The first find was Craig digging a King George Copper! When you are finding King George Coppers, that means its going to be a great day right. Well it actually got better. Within a few minutes I found another one!
My friend JD, not to be outdone dug the most beautiful 1808 caped bust half, followed by Craig with a 1799 Spanish Reale. We also found musket balls, pewter buttons and other colonial relics. All in all it was the most fun I have ever had detecting. Thanks for taking us JD. Oh and next time I will wear my lucky shirt and pants and who knows what we will find.

TSGMAN, SW Missouri Relic Hunter

Attachments

• colonial fort site 093.jpg
    colonial fort site 093.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 675
  • colonial fort site 087.jpg
    colonial fort site 087.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 684
  • colonial fort site 084.jpg
    colonial fort site 084.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 677
  • colonial fort site 082.jpg
    colonial fort site 082.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 681
  • colonial fort site 080.jpg
    colonial fort site 080.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 682
  • colonial fort site 089.jpg
    colonial fort site 089.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 675
Upvote 0

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
ya ya ya, rub it in why dont you. It should be me in that picture as well, but I chose to go deer hunting instead. :( I didnt see one deer on Sunday. Should have been with you guys.

Congrats on the finds guys. Very Impressive!

Chris, SW MO

S

savage59

nice digs you two new guys. you two should really go back and clean it out! :D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds,

HH

Lonewolfe

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so where do you find a Colonial fort in Missouri? Great finds! Wish I could find stuff like that.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dathvick, ?The waterways along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers were well used in those days, The towns like St.Louis is a good example. The forts were sometimes the only protection the colonists or settlers had. ?The British also enticed the Indians to attack the colonists at every opportunity.
Jake, some of the items I found look like parts of pocket knives ? ?Also we had alot of buttons some pewter. Many of the relics we cannot identify yet. The Coppers we found were the oldest items, ?The Copper Craig found had the bust looking to the left which may be from George the 2nd. ?According to info I found on British Regal Coppers, it said these were made between 1729 - 1740 and again from 1742 - 1754. ?The Copper I found had the bust looking right, and George the 3rd produced these from 1770 - 1775. The info also said most Coppers in America during these times were counterfitted, due to the lack of hard money they sometimes even used lead musketballs and tokens, and Spanish ?coins .
Oh by the way, ?to reply to Relics suggestion that we go back and clean out the place we were invited to hunt. ?I wouldn't do that to someone who shared with, nor would I expect them to do that to me. thanks for looking. TSGMAN

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always amazing to me how much history is basicaly in our own back yards.. sometimes you just have to open your eyes and look. And its the luck of the draw that these Forts are all still on private properties and the owners love seeing us out there detecting, and always stop to say hello and ask us how were doing... during the late spring an owner brought me cold drinks and told me stories how he used to play in the old fort when he was a kid the wood used to still stick out of the ground there still and he and his cousins used to play cowboys and indians there..

Old Settlers Erect Forts (1811-1812); being fully convinced that the Indians were making preparations to attack the settlements along the Missouri River, ... began the erection of three forts in Howard Co.: Fort Cooper about 2 miles southwest of Boone's Lick, Fort Kincaid east southeast, about nine miles distant, and about one mile north of the present Boonville railroad bridge; Fort Hempstead was about 1-1/2 miles north of Fort Kincaid. Each fort was a series of log houses, built together around an enclosure. In each house lived a family, ... Immediately after the erection of these forts, the pioneers organized themselves into a military company of 112 men who were able to bear arms, with Sarshall Cooper as captain, 1st Lt. William McMahon, 2nd Lt. John Monroe, Ensign Benjamin Cooper Jr., ... Corporals ... Jesse Ashcraft. The following list comprises all the men and boys who were in the different forts.

Attachments

• colonial_fort_site_078.jpg
    colonial_fort_site_078.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 592

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD if you ever need another hunting buddy let me know. I know I am across the state but for an opportunity to hunt a site like this I would drive it in an instant.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD and I are starting a metal detecting guide service, you know like a fishing guide service, call for prices !

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome hunt!! Yall did good!!WTG!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Congrats to all of you, you sound like you had a great day, and made some fantastic finds. Tgsman, some of those counterfeits are worth a lot. There are some made in machin's mills and others made in New York that are very collectable, Torry coppers. You can ususally tell by the dates, since the real King Georges were only minted in specific years. Again, Congrats on a great hunt....Lance

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
WOW, what a tremendous haul there guys. I'm totally envious. WTG

GL & HH,

DugHoles

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Lance. Have you found any KG Coppers ?

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoutjim99, I think we could find more, I will post better pics of the King George Coppers soon.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish there was a way I could tag along! That looks like a great hunt!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread