1St seated half

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
Hello all finally got to hunt a bit went to a spot i have been to many times. Luckily I seem to come away with something every time. Was hitting an area i have found may IH and a few nickles when i got a big hit i barely touched the side of the erosion spot ( this site is an old beach) when a coin fell out a big fella i thought at first it might be a large cent a closer look revealed a reeded edge definately silver was able clean a bit the coin is in rough shape saw an eagles head with a ribbon and the word states . Not sure how to go about cleaning this the pics will show what i am up against the coin was above the water line barely and has a coating of sand that seems to have oxidized if thats the right term to the coin completely obscuring the face and most of the back Either way its my first half dollar of any kind so i am psyched would love to be able to clean it to see a date and more any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Dylan

Attachments

• coin pics 022.JPG
    coin pics 022.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • coin pics 023.JPG
    coin pics 023.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,087
  • coin pics 026.JPG
    coin pics 026.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • coin pics 027.JPG
    coin pics 027.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,049
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Thanks to all Artorius i will try your method for sure next time i used to much well everything on it however I had a feeling there might not be much to find and i was right unfortunately. it looks like the coin may have been in a fire. the face is gone most of the obverse as well except for the part of the eagle that was already showing. well i learned what not to do and thankfully didn't screw up a salvageable coin the pics will be posted later this week. Nick my main man fandamntabulous to hear from you
dylan

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
dgaughan said:
Thanks to all Artorius i will try your method for sure next time i used to much well everything on it however I had a feeling there might not be much to find and i was right unfortunately. it looks like the coin may have been in a fire. the face is gone most of the obverse as well except for the part of the eagle that was already showing. well i learned what not to do and thankfully didn't screw up a salvageable coin the pics will be posted later this week. Nick my main man fandamntabulous to hear from you
dylan

Shame your first Seated was in that condition...I figured the coin would be damaged but not as bad as it turned out to be. Electrolysis is great getting that black crud off coins or coins like yours...I haven't messed up a coin yet, but I am there checking it out at all times, enjoying watching that crud come off, the smell isn't fun. If you have a valuable coin, might think twice about it. Hope to see pics soon!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
mountainplayer said:
Dylan,

Buckleboy said it first...be CAREFUL with electrolysis and use really low amperage. All I can add to his advice is that a cell phone charger (we've all got them these days) is an excellent choice to start off with. Most of them are way below 1/2 Amp (500mA is the same as 1/2 amp). Voltage is totally irrelevent in my experience. 12V, 24V, it will all work.

The one I use is 12Vdc / 300mA. I've never fried anything with it...although it does take time to do the job. That's what you want with a coin like that one....low and slow.

MP

I would do it in 30 second increments. I learned the hard way on silver.

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Nice find........ Congrats!!
Too bad the cleaning didn't come out how you wanted.
HH

John

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Re: 1St seated half new pics added

Hello all here are the after pics not the best but you will see there is nothing on the face still psyched about it tho thanks for looking

dylan

Attachments

• 3025 036.JPG
    3025 036.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 3025 037.JPG
    3025 037.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 307

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T
Awesome find Dylan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have passed out!!! I know all about finding beach silver looking like that!! I have a new beach that spits out coins just like that. I'll show you mine if you show me yours lol ;D :wink: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats Buddy on a Great find!!!! Seriously gotta get together for hunt again soon!! :thumbsup:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread