Six Coppers, All 1700s, 3 Draped Bust LC, NJ, KGIII, and 1 smoothie(KGIII?)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I wish I could say they were all mine, but nope, my son had a great week and he let me share some of the wealth! :thumbsup:
My son is a great researcher and this week he was chompin at the bit to check out a few possible spots that were looking favorable on the aerial maps to similar site nearby that produced a 1797 Half Cent and a Conn copper last year. So on Monday after work he did a quick exploratory search through very thick scrub oak and did find Two very small homesteads from around 1800 occupation time.

In the short time he had to hunt he got a worn out copper (most likely a KGIII, date bar barely visible) and a 1775 KGIII (counterfeit) in the same hole, and a some large buttons. He wanted to further explore a nearby site so he left quickly and did find the second site, a tad larger and he got a decent 1787 New Jersey copper and some more buttons and things.

His quick 1.5 hour hunt yielded 3 Colonial era coppers and buttons and relics so not bad for an exploratory search type hunt.

Yesterday, I met him after work and we went back to the site he where he got the NJ copper. He started finding buttons and pewter spoon parts right away, while dear ole Dad was digging modern arrowhead hunting points, parts of aluminum arrow shaft and shotgun casings! (Figures)

Well, he finally yelled out he had a definite coin reading, I went over and verified it with my detector and copper #1 for the day was a Draped Bust Large Cent. We hunted a while longer and I finally got a small old button, but still no coins. Finally Dan yelled that he had another coin reading, I again walked over to verify before he dug and copper #2 for the day appeared, another Draped Bust Large Cent.

Now the pressure was building for me to find one, and luckily I did get that high sweet tone of a copper not too long afterwards. This time my son came over and verified with his detector, and I dug and yes, I got #3 copper for the day, another Draped Bust Large Cent.

We both hunted for about another 20 minutes, Dan got some more buttons, think he had at least 7 for the day to my 1, but I got the biggest buckle I ever found, so that was some consolation....... :)

Upon cleaning the coppers, it was very strange that all three coppers dug yesterday were 1798 Large Cents! Mine came out in the best shape but all three were good in details and I did get the variety of all of them, two are Scarce and one a very scarce variety .

My son sent me a cleaned photo of all his finds (attached) and said to look at the one pewter piece, LOL, it does look like a duck's head!!

Also, another strange thing, on his first hunt on Monday he found a large, bent design button, and yesterday he found another one there, both seem to be identical in design, and how they are bent, including the flattening of the button shanks. Weird, any thoughts on why, other than coincidence??

So, a great 1.5 hour hunt with my son and with a another total of six copper between us, and all 1700's, this years so far has been a great one for both of us.....

HH

Don

Attachments

• Site236.jpg
    Site236.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 883
  • DonDiggin1798LargeCent.jpg
    DonDiggin1798LargeCent.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 873
  • Site236FindsMarch20th.jpg
    Site236FindsMarch20th.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 872
  • DansFindsDirtyMarch20th Site236.jpg
    DansFindsDirtyMarch20th Site236.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 874
  • Samebentbuttons.jpg
    Samebentbuttons.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 1798DrapedBustLargeCentSite236March20th.jpg
    1798DrapedBustLargeCentSite236March20th.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 873
  • 1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar09.jpg
    1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar09.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 878
  • 1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar092nd.jpg
    1798DrapedBustLCsite236DAN20Mar092nd.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 878
  • DanBlankCopperKGIII.jpg
    DanBlankCopperKGIII.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 868
  • Dan1787Maris46-e.jpg
    Dan1787Maris46-e.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 870
  • Dan1775KGIII.jpg
    Dan1775KGIII.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 865
  • Danscleaned finds.jpg
    Danscleaned finds.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 870
Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
WOW, super find and your son has been on a roll recently!! Congrats on some beautiful coins!!

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! great post as always. Congrats to you and your son on some great finds! keep it up :thumbsup: lol and that piece for sure looks like a ducks head lol HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Wow. Wow!

That first Draped Bust is a Fantastic coin! The only thing I can think of with those buttons is that they could be love tokens where the feelings were not mutual. But that's just off the top of my head--I don't know if there is any record of love tokens made from buttons being recovered.

That was a Fine hunt for you two.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Boy you two can sure pop those early coppers out of the ground! :o I was wondering if the buttons being bent could be the casting sprue removal point? But to have found 2 in the same location, you would think they would have had to been made at the location? Just some food for thought.

Great day of family hunting! Whats the coin goal this year?

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible hunt. What a day! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Don, You guys always find the best! Hogge :thumbsup:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing, truly amazing... :coffee2:

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Very nice Don...and your son! You seem to have kinder soil in NJ than here in RI.
Keep at it!

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Once again Don, you've made me want to grab my machine and hunt right now!. To have a day out and find all 1700s coins is an awesome day for sure. As for the buttons that are bent, i'd say that they were being used for something specific.......what that is I have no idea!. Another fantastic hunt, well done on the research.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds Don.

Congrats to Both of you !