Finally found a Buffalo Nickel Today!!! Pics turned out great

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Hey guys, I know it has been a long while since I have posted any pictures on here. I have been so stinking busy with work amongst other things that I have not even had time to think straight. I have been detecting only a couple of times in the last couple months, and have not found anything interesting except for clad. Thank goodness I am on vacation this week. I went detecting for a couple of hours today and scored my first buffalo, and it is a beauty. I spent about an hour getting it cleaned up, it is much better looking now than when it came out of the ground. I also found a 46 wheatie which I did not bother to post. The pendants were found within my last couple of detecting adventures, so I thought I would include them. I got third in the 4H and never even had to enter lol ;D. I also got permission to go hunting on private land of a coworker were there is an old fort (one of Custer's forts I believe), so I will include any cool stuff I find there in a later post. I am very excited and looking forward to hunting it. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy the pics. I have really been missing this forum, and hope to stay more involved in it.

Thanks,
Loren Farrar
Founder of http://www.easystopgiftshop.com

Attachments

• BuffaloBack&Front.JPG
    BuffaloBack&Front.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 497
  • Pendants.JPG
    Pendants.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the finds !!,and congrats on the 1st buff.HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Buff! I've always wondered who the iIndian was that posed for the so called buffalo nickel? Monty

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Awesome looking digs, WTG!!!
Congrats on a first, and the pics did come out great.
Good luck on that next adventer, Happy hunting!

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Monty said:
Neat Buff!? I've always wondered who the iIndian was that posed for the so called buffalo nickel?? Monty

Actually, the final Indian head design was the composite of 3 different Indians who were used as models.

Go figure. :-\

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I finally got my 1st Buffalo the other day too, (yours is a bit better though), hope it didn't take you four years like it did me! ::)
Congrats!

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
NICE BUFFALO WITH A READABLE DATE! I HAVE A FEW BUT BARELY ABLE TO MAKE OUT THE DATE
GOOD LUCK ON THE FORT HUNT

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Indian looked a lot like Ironeyes Cody, famous Indian of a thousand westerns and the star of that anti-pollution ad, the one where he has a tear in his eye. But I found out "Ironeyes" wasn't even really an Indian, just looked the part so he adopted the Indian name as his stage name! Monty

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Great find. Buffalo Nick has been a goal of mine for awhile... pushing 5 years now. Glad to see he's still out there waiting to be found! I have a new/old homestead site that I just got permission to hunt...thanks for the motivation!

What type of location were you detecting?

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Yes, very nice. And it's not the 1936. Not that that would be bad. Chances are there are more where that came from.
Good luck at your next site.

Bob

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Buffalo, I have yet to find one of those. Nice going, good luck at the fort site.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking buffalo nickle. I have seen 2 or 3 found by my club of 30 members over the last year. So do the math and the odds are 1 in 15 or 1 in 10. So depending on your luck you should find one every 10 -15 years. Yeah right, Give me a little old fashioned luck any time.

Ed Donovan

scoutjim99

Sep 2, 2005
Greenville NOrth Craolina
i couldn,t remember who the indians where so i had to look it up The designer could only remeber two of the tree names of the indians 1-Two Moons a Cheyenne, and Iron Tail a Sioux the third is posssibly Chief John Big Tree Seneca, the other possible is Chief Two Guns-White Calf a Blackfoot the Bison is modeled after Black diamond. sorry i hope i didnt bore any one i just love all this stuff

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I thought the Indian looked a lot like Ironeyes Cody, famous Indian of a thousand westerns and the star of that anti-pollution ad, the one where he has a tear in his eye.? But I found out "Ironeyes" wasn't even really an Indian, just looked the part so he adopted the Indian name as his stage name!? Monty

LOL!

I was going to suggest the same guy Jim, the portrait looks exactly like him! ;D

He would have passed long before the 1970s when those commercials were running though, or, would've been like 120 yrs old!

Nice finds dude!

HH

Lonewolfe

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Loren!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
luvmydfx

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Wow, I guess I must be extremely lucky to find one. I was starting to wonder if they really did exist lol. I just need to find some seated coins now yeah right lol. I have only been detecting for about 8 months, so I guess that I am extremely lucky to find one at all and especially one in as good of condition as this one. It's really amazing that someone can detect for years and never find one. This buffalo was found in the same park down the street from my house that I have found a gold ring with diamonds and a silver ring right next to it that I posted in an earlier post. I have also found several wheaties there and a 1943 merc dime that I posted previously also. It has been quite the producer. It has also probably produced about ten dollars in clad so far. I sure hope those of you who haven't found one come up with one sometime. Happy Hunting everyone.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date on the Buffalo is raised and is a high point on the coin. It wouldn't,t take much time in circulation to wear down . Your coin has a really good definition especially the date so it was not lost too long after being minted. Congratulations.

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions