In the Union Lines

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
In the Union Lines

“At last the orders came to turn the right flank of the enemy. We passed down into the hollow,
filed off still farther to the left, and passed over another elevation, when we came to the railroad, just below the brickyard.
Then, with General Parke at our head, we pushed on, passed in rear of the breastworks of the enemy, and as we came
upon the high open ground behind it we came under a raking fire from the rifle pits across the railroad and the brick-yard,
where the enemy lay in large force.”
JOHN WRIGHT,
Major, Comdg. First Bat. Fifth Regt. Rhode Island Vols.

“Where do you want to go man? The Fairgrounds?” N.Y. Rob asks as we look for some 9v batteries in his garage.
“Naw, I mean that place has been hit so hard and the only thing we’re going to find is trash and pennies. Lets try
behind the woods behind the Toyota dealer. The Union marched right down the railroad tracks there.” I say, and off we go.

Me and N.Y. Rob are getting spooled up quick on the CW battle of New Bern, and due to gaps in our relic hunting
schedule which is usually filled with fossil, bottle, and Indian relic hunting days I’m rekindling my Civil War passion and
he’s just starting his.

cwhunt6.JPG
“We pushed on at the double-quick until we came under cover of the trees, where we formed in line of battle and
prepared to charge on the enemy in the battery. As they had retired, I was ordered first to send one company and
afterward the whole battalion, and to proceed cautiously and find out what the firing was on our left. I sent the
adjutant ahead to find out the direction we should take. As it was pointed out by the general's aide, Lieutenant Lydig,
we passed down into a hollow and ascended the left-hand side cautiously until we reached the brow of the elevation,
when we came in view of the enemy and immediately opened upon them a brisk fire, which immediately had an effect,
for their fire slackened and stopped when we ceased firing. We opened upon them two or three times afterward until we
were afraid of firing upon the Fourth Rhode Island, who were advancing upon them on our right. When the Fourth
charged upon them we ceased firing and awaited orders.”

JOHN WRIGHT,
Major, Comdg. First Bat. Fifth Regt. Rhode Island Vols.

N.Y. Rob is just about jogging thru the woods swinging his detector way too fast and high, he’ll learn I think to myself.
This little patch of woods between Hwy 70 and the tracks has been hit by hundreds of enthusiasts over the decades,
and the woods are clean as a whistle. No relics and like a good detectorist no trash either. I have the right tool for
this deal the mighty Excalibur, and I’m moving slow and steady.
cwhunt7.JPG
After a while I’m kind of resigned to not finding anything
but enjoying my after work fun with Rob and eyeballing some of the remaining CW entrenchments still in the woods
when “BANG” the Excalibur sounds off with a deep target. As I dig I don’t expect to see what is in my hand when the
dirt is moved around. A nice expended .58 3ringer. Man! What a thrill to find a actual front line bullet shot by some
Reb at one of N.Y. Rob’s relatives.
cwhunt11.JPG
Rob comes over and I stay a few yards off the railroad grade and soon am rewarded with more fired rounds. The Excalibur
penetrates thru rotting wood and any deep and missed rounds are mine to keep. It really was quite a nice way to close out
a day, and reinforces the metal detecting mantra “No place is ever hunted out.

Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• cwhunt6.JPG
    cwhunt6.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 418
  • cwhunt11.JPG
    cwhunt11.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 426
  • cwhunt7.JPG
    cwhunt7.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 423
Upvote 0
OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
No Problem, It looked to me like some sort of arty piece fortification. It could have been post battle as the union built all kinds of earthworks up and down the railroad to the coast.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and story "Devil Dog" :D

Okinawa 1976-1986

Loved your Oki site. Brings back some fond memories..... Ron USMC Retired

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
crazyjarhead said:
Nice finds and story "Devil Dog" :D

Okinawa 1976-1986

Loved your Oki site. Brings back some fond memories..... Ron USMC Retired
Hey Ron, Thanks for the kudos! If you got a pic or two or a story you want me to put on there shoot me a attachment! And click on some ads! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread