KEY DATE INDIAN HEAD PENNY

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday to a campsite spot that I've hunted before and after hunting for a couple hours I had found a decent General Service without a shank, a nice .69 and a modern bullet. Scanning around a area that juts out near a lake I found a penny and thought it to be just an ordinary Indian Head until I got it home and saw that it was one of the rarest Indian Head dates of "1870". It seems to be in pretty good condition once I clean it up it should grade in the Good range I would think. Presently that range on the PCGS is around $100-$200 maybe more but probably not.

" 1870 Indian Head BN 60 200 400 ▲600 ▲675 ▲775 1,000 1,500 2,350 "

Found a couple more pieces of lead afterward and a nice brass nail :P but the Indina Head was the highlight!
I dont care how many times a spot has been hunted, I know in my experience that I can go back to a spot and grid it a different way and scan a different direction and I still come up with stuff, and I've hit this spot probably over 10 times.
MD Pics 414.jpg
Indian Head.jpg
MD Pics 416.jpg

Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: KEY DATE INDIAN HEAD PENNY!

{Sentinel} said:
creeper71 said:
{Sentinel} said:
civil war hunter said:
i would give it a P for poor. Maybe 100.00. Dont want to bust your bubble.

Yeah, you may be right, but hey still $100.00 ;D :wink:
I'm not sure what you should do with that penny unfortanely it has alot of bubble which in peroxcide I would think they would turn into pits... Man do I wish that came out of the ground in better shape for ya....

Yeah, I do too but it is just a plus anyway. I certainly was impressed by the mid range prices for this coin. Even in poor condition it demands much more than several other coins in great shape that I have found.....It was just by chance that I looked at the date....I was happy with the .69 and the Eagle for my Relic cases. Actually, the crust you see on it is common here in Hampton Roads area and is primarily calcium... comes off fairly easily with some Soft Scrub
I hope this coin comes out alot better shape then we thinkit will,if you clean it

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
To me,........that coin would be "priceless". I have been hoping to find any IH but have had no luck, oh well, maybe one day. Oh yea, congrats on the plate you found last week! I work with DCooper and he told me all about, sounds like you all had a great time. Those guys are the best.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JC dig's said:
To me,........that coin would be "priceless". I have been hoping to find any IH but have had no luck, oh well, maybe one day. Oh yea, congrats on the plate you found last week! I work with DCooper and he told me all about, sounds like you all had a great time. Those guys are the best.

Yep, the Cooper boys are good friends! Both are just about as cool as any two people you could ever meet and it was a pleasure hunting and hanging with them over the weekend :wink: :wink: :icon_king:

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
Love those IH's. Very nice find. :thumbsup: I'm like you I don't want to sell none of what I find. These things are just to hard to come by to let go.

BTW, Sentinel, I tried sending you a PM but it came back saying your mailbox was full. My email is on my profile if you want to send me that info you have.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorsMoon said:
Love those IH's. Very nice find. :thumbsup: I'm like you I don't want to sell none of what I find. These things are just to hard to come by to let go.

BTW, Sentinel, I tried sending you a PM but it came back saying your mailbox was full. My email is on my profile if you want to send me that info you have.

Thanks for the heads up bud :thumbsup: My charter membership actually ended and I needed to go and replenish it. I will send you the rest of that history.

L

lovedigging

Josh, Way to go buddy!!!! I'll take a $100.00 coin anyday :thumbsup:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you found a rare coin and you had fun...isn't that what life is all about.....good job...

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the key date and those other nice finds. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread