Thought I would try one!!!! FOUND LAST WEEK!!!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
T his is my first pic post,
center]
found this in a cemetery @ 6" ,, thanks for looking,,,Art

Attachments

• P1000005 [640x480].JPG
    P1000005 [640x480].JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 599
  • P1000004.JPG
    P1000004.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cemetery? :-\
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art great first picture post! I have found many coins in my early years of detecting around cemetery's....Usually there was a hitching rack for the horse and buggies...that area has been the most productive for me....Digging in a cemetery is OK in my book...in a grave is taboo...many people buried a small token of sentimental value just under the soil of a loved ones grave...Keep the pics coming...Steve

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
BomberJohn said:
artzstuff1 said:
JuJu said:
Cemetary? :-\
:icon_pirat:
JuJu
Must have spelled it wrong,,, sorry,,,art
No, spelling isn't the problem. The issue is metal detecting in cemetaries is not generally supportted by most detectorists. There are threads and threads about it on here.
Found at the edge not over grave sites, sorry should have specified that,,,,,art

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Kinda creepy, but I would try it sometime. Especially those long forgotten cemeteries. That is one good looking coin too. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
stevesno said:
Art great first picture post! I have found many coins in my early years of detecting around cemetery's....Usually there was a hitching rack for the horse and buggies...that area has been the most productive for me....Digging in a cemetery is OK in my book...in a grave is taboo...many people buried a small token of sentimental value just under the soil of a loved ones grave...Keep the pics coming...Steve
Thanks Steve,, I have a lot of stuff to post now that i got a new camera!!Aways hunt the big trees and around the edges of graveyards never over the graves just wanted to clarify that,,,thanks again,,,,Art

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooooooooooooooooo I'm drooling, :wav: very nice dig find.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet silver !!!
i have detected in a cemetary
but never around any known graves...
If there is an old rock fence, open field
or where they have recently stripped
the grass, i'll detect in those areas...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find in great shape. Congrats.

I have never detecting in a cemetery but I have done graveyard restoration work on some very old tombstones which has gotten me past any reservations about detecting one. While resetting old tombstones we dig down around two feet which I would never go that deep with a detector. In respect of the living I would not detect over any graves from the last century. If I found an item I thought was placed by I loved one I would leave it but if I found a coin I would have no problems keeping it.

My view on this topic has actually changed over the years. It has to do with me doing volunteer work with my church that has a graveyard with tombsones from the 1600s. I respect the dead but the graveyard is more for the living then the dead.

I was actually just asked to detect an old cemetery in the town next to me for a church. They want to try to preserve some of their graveyards history and a few relics were uncovered by the grounds keeper. I would not be able to keep any of the items but as soon as I have some time I'm heading over there. In the 1600s it was the towns green with a grist mill was on the property.

This is just my opinion and I'm not looking for a debate.

NJ

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Great find! I think metal detecting cemetaries is fine. I have found lots of old coins, I stick to the edges and walkways and stay clear of the stones.

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT
awesome coin. undecided about the cemetary thing. maybe on the outside of the borders where they "hitched horses or buggys", but not inside for sure.

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT
Nope, No how, No way.
I personally wouldnt have anything to do in around or near a cemetery.
There are so many other places to hunt and it is a huge subject of controversy as well.
If I seen another detectorist in that situation, I would not be happy about it.
Bad public perception, its already tough enough trying to find a spot out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions