My first hunt in over twenty years

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
Today I went to a couple of parks to try out my new detector. The last time I went hunting was back in 1985. I feel like a newbie again with this Minelab detector. The oldest coin I found was a 1950d wheat cent at about 9 or 10 inches. Some of those memorial cents were surprisingly deep too. Unfortunately, I didn't find any silver :'(...though I got some promising signals that turned out to be screw caps. I've learned to listen to the tones more than rely on the numbers or the screen. I had a silver quarter on me and compared it to some of those screwcap signals. The tone on the silver was higher pitched. I think I'll get fooled less by listening more. I had a lot of fun. Dan

3404935491_c96b2c9475.jpg

Upvote 0

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Welcome back to the hobby. I took a break for about 15 years myself.
Congrats on your finds!!

John

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I just got mine so watch out GibsonDan I'm heading out Sunday to find that silver, in the meantime trying to learn the machine. Ha! Ha! probably find nothing but old bolts :) :) :) Charlie

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
welcome back to the hobby and not bad for first time out with a new detector and I dare say you are hooked again good luck and HH.

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
Welcome back. Good luck with the new detector. I'm sure silver will be found before too long.

Big E
Emil

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Dan. I just started back again not to long ago after digging bullets in my yard. Often wonder why I got to busy.Might have been the arrowheads,bass fishing,deer hunting.life.....
Much success to you.

TnMountains

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can relate to the "extended vacation" from detecting...I stopped for about 15 years and got back into it in 1995...now it's just like breathing, something I gotta do!

It'll be even more fun when you get to those older sites..good luck and be sure to post your silver and gold when you find it.

Nat

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to the MDing. Looks like a decent hunt....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread